Atomic z3 vs aqualung mikron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Echoing the above, both are very good regs. I own a Micron and along with a Mares Proton they are my travel regs of choice due to their small size and ease of packing. For its size, I consider the Micron to be a very good breather, and as long as I am not photographing or spearing, I don't find the bubbles a problem.

See if your LDS will allow you to dive both and then get the one you feel most comfortable with.

I have regs fom SP, AL, Atomic, Cressi and Mares in my dive school. Atomic regulators are tops with SP close second in terms of reliability, performance, etc. The AL Mikron isn't even in the same league as the Atomic Z3. I recommend to get the "SEALED" first stage Z3. I wouldn't consider buying regulators from any other brands when I have the Atomic and SP now.

I have regs fom SP, AL, Atomic, Cressi and Mares in my dive school. Atomic regulators are tops with SP close second in terms of reliability, performance, etc. The AL Mikron isn't even in the same league as the Atomic Z3. I recommend to get the "SEALED" first stage Z3. I wouldn't consider buying regulators from any other brands when I have the Atomic and SP now.

How so? Cheers.

The regulators that need adjustments, service and have issues more frequently in addition to having lower performance are the Mares, Cressi and AL (with Mares being the worst and AL the better in the three brands). SP and Atomic regulators maintain their performance for a very long time without ANY problems. In fact, we never had ANY issues with SP and Atomic regulators even though we haven't serviced them for several years now. Our students always reach out to the Atomic and SP first. The late and unlucky ones are the ones that end up with the other brands. On the other hand, I have several Mares, Cressi and AL regulators that need service for one issue or another. We won't buy the these three brands when SP and Atomic are available to us.

Was at the same crossroads, several years ago, except it was with the then Z2 and the Mikron. Based on the shop recommendations, I went with the Atomic Z2. Couldn't be happier with the regulator. Crossed over to DIR configuration and the turret shaped second stages make it easier to route long hoses and to accommodate twin cylinders. I've breathed the darn thing hard through some rough exits and down to 130ft. It's been in 45-47 degrees to low 80 degrees water (farenheit). Never had any problems. The majority of the time, I keep the second stage on maximum breathing resistance and it's still silky smooth and delivers air with ease.

You do have to exercise special care when rinsing Atomic regulators.

O.
Hi... i owned an Atomic B2 and after my first dive trip with it as I was washingy gears, I kind of soaked my regs into a pale of freshwater with my dust cap closed. Then I realize water dripping out from my first stage inlet... then the LDS told me I wasn't supposed to soak my regs. Rinsing it is good enough.

Would like to know the kind of care I need to take when rinsing my second stage.
I have no experience with the Mikron but have been diving Atomic for over a decade now with no issues.

One difference if you plan to keep within the warranty guidelines is Aqualung's is every year inspected, 2nd year service.

Atomic's is a simple 2 year service or 300 dives. Mostly what allows that is the Seat Saver Orifice. It's also the thing that causes issues with rinsing.

Worldwide I believe Aqualung has the larger dealer network.

On the second stage, I alway uses tap to run it through the exhaust and into the mouth piece. Not sure if there'll be water in my second stage.

Care to share your experience..?

The regulators that need adjustments, service and have issues more frequently in addition to having lower performance are the Mares, Cressi and AL (with Mares being the worst and AL the better in the three brands). SP and Atomic regulators maintain their performance for a very long time without ANY problems. In fact, we never had ANY issues with SP and Atomic regulators even though we haven't serviced them for several years now. Our students always reach out to the Atomic and SP first. The late and unlucky ones are the ones that end up with the other brands. On the other hand, I have several Mares, Cressi and AL regulators that need service for one issue or another. We won't buy the these three brands when SP and Atomic are available to us.

Prehaps some statistics rather than just opinion.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't own the reg stable as you but own 3 Mikron firsts and 4 seconds plus a Legend set and none of them has every needed anything beyond routine care, and that is only done as needed.

The statistics I have is what the schools has in its training equipment fleet now. Definitely no more Cressi or Mares, AL maybe for us but the SP and Atomic (especially the sealed versions) are/will be the standard and we won't consider the first three brands. The SP and Atomic regulators never had any service or need for adjustments beyond proper cleaning with fresh water after use even with the occasional students forgetting to put the dust-cap back on and dumping the regulator in the rinse bucket. For us, the Mares and the Cressi are the least reliable with AL third. We have the choice of buying any brand for our school with very discounted prices as initial cost but with SP and Atomic, the cost of ownership over 3 - 5 year period is much lower with almost no down time at all. We will be moving to SP almost exclusively in 2016 and selling our Mares, Cressi and AL as used equipment when we get the replacements from SP.

(I may experiment with Beuchat equipment in 2016 just to see what other options we have available to us here).

Note: Our equipment gets a lot more use and abuse than equipment used by a single diver.

View attachment 221834

View attachment 221835

I don't own the reg stable as you but own 3 Mikron firsts and 4 seconds plus a Legend set and none of them has every needed anything beyond routine care, and that is only done as needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Scubalab gear is brand new and sent in by the manufacturers who know they're being tested. It does not necessarily reflect gear you buy in a store or more so such gear that is used and has taken some wear and tear.

if your running that many students thru a year, then the regs should be serviced yearly as stated in most owners manuals!!! the plus with AL micron is you do get free parts for life as long as you keep up on your service!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Scubalab gear is brand new and sent in by the manufacturers who know they're being tested. It does not necessarily reflect gear you buy in a store or more so such gear that is used and has taken some wear and tear.

The Best Scuba Regulators Under & Over $500 Tested by ScubaLab | Scuba Diving

You can read the first page. It tells what and how they test. As you may have noticed, a wide variety of manufactires participate. I am not sure but it sounds like you are implying they send in special regs selected for testing and not off the shelf samples? Do you have any facts to support this?

As to how the Sucbalab tests translate into real world diving, that is open to debate.

As far as durability and reliability, I would love to see some hard statistics rather then anadotal evidence. Got any?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom