Atomic Z2 vs Zeagle F8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note that I have not said the Z2 is better than the F8.

I have said that I can't see any reason to pay MORE money for an F8.

I guess if you are going to have them serviced according to the factory manual, then eventually the F8 will break even and then start to pull ahead on overall cost of ownership.

If you're going to only have them serviced when they actually need it, then maybe the F8 will break even eventually.... some day... in 10 years? I don't know.

I have said that I can't see any reason to pay MORE money for an F8.
Is a F8 really more expensive?

Atomic Z2 + Z2 Octo
$570 +$320 = $890

Zeagle F8 + F8 Octo
$650 + $240 = $890

Zeagle F8 + Onyx II Octo
$650 + $190 = $840

I am not sure of any deals but if purchasing a matching octo they both cost the same at list. IIRC Zeagle used to sell parts kits but looking online I guess they discontinued that.

Why is the M1 most even? The Z2 and F8 are both zirconium air barrels. They are all 3 chrome-over-brass 1st stages.
F8 is Zeagle’s Flagship cold water, Nitrox ready regulator. M1 is Atomic’s Cold water, Nitrox ready reg. Both second stages come without a swivel.

I sell and service both in our shop, and dive them both and like them both.

That said, I have a TFX coming soon.

Is the F8 easy to service (first and second)?
Yes, it is straightforward. 1st stage just like most dry sealed diaphragm regs. 2nd stage is almost identical to Atomic 2nd stages.

F8.

Not a fan of Atomic.
83li1p.jpg

F8 is Zeagle’s Flagship cold water, Nitrox ready regulator. M1 is Atomic’s Cold water, Nitrox ready reg. Both second stages come without a swivel.

I sell and service both in our shop, and dive them both and like them both.

That said, I have a TFX coming soon.

The M1 has a swivel turret and a bottom LP port. The F8 has neither.

The Z2 is also Nitrox-ready. None of them come with a swivel.

In your comparison, the only thing the M1 has over the Z2 is the metal heat sink thing on the end of the 2nd stage air barrel to reduce the chance of 2nd stage freezing in cold water. I don't know, but I speculate that you could fit that part to the Z2 if you're concerned about really cold water.

With the F8 lacking a swivel turret and bottom port, I would still rate it closest to the Z2.

If you want a reg that you can use on deco cylinders, then the M1 is clearly (to me, anyway) the best choice of the 3. Deco regs with a swivel turret and bottom port are definitely my preference (because of better hose routing).

For single tank use, the Z2 would be my choice of the 3, for being the least expensive of them all, having all the relevant features, even of the M1 (as I would not be diving a single tank in water that is so cold the Z2 is unsuitable), and is preferable to the F8 because it has the option of better (to ME) hose routing.

The M1 has a swivel turret and a bottom LP port. The F8 has neither.

The Z2 is also Nitrox-ready. None of them come with a swivel.

In your comparison, the only thing the M1 has over the Z2 is the metal heat sink thing on the end of the 2nd stage air barrel to reduce the chance of 2nd stage freezing in cold water. I don't know, but I speculate that you could fit that part to the Z2 if you're concerned about really cold water.

With the F8 lacking a swivel turret and bottom port, I would still rate it closest to the Z2.

If you want a reg that you can use on deco cylinders, then the M1 is clearly (to me, anyway) the best choice of the 3. Deco regs with a swivel turret and bottom port are definitely my preference (because of better hose routing).

For single tank use, the Z2 would be my choice of the 3, for being the least expensive of them all, having all the relevant features, even of the M1 (as I would not be diving a single tank in water that is so cold the Z2 is unsuitable), and is preferable to the F8 because it has the option of better (to ME) hose routing.

BUT, the F8 has a cool looking "flat black chrome plating in order to protect the brass from corroding. A very durable black PVD is used to coat the high use port plugs, to protect from wear and tear and corrosion" :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom