Atomic Z2 vs Zeagle F8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyler. Henry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do either of these have a distinct advantage - except for the comfort swivel?

LDS services both. Thanks for the help.

Do either of these have a distinct advantage - except for the comfort swivel?

LDS services both. Thanks for the help.
The atomic is a piston, if you want it sealed it uses grease which adds to the cost when serviced, the F8 is diaphragm and sealed, service is simpler and should be cheaper.

second stages both have the same seat saver, atomic has an automatic (AFC) predive /dive system and the Zeagle uses the common rotating dive/predive (I prefer the Zeagle) both are very high performance. The Z2 doesn’t have the comfort swivel on the second stage, that’s the Z3 but I haven’t looked at them lately so it may be on the Z2 now, really don’t know but I am also not a fan of the comfort swivel, I use an Omni and a long hose.

The Z2 does not have a swivel. That is one of the reasons I choose it over the Z3.

The Z2 has a bottom LP port. The F8 does not (as far as I can tell). That by itself would be reason enough for me to pick the Z2 over the F8.

I like to use the bottom port on a single tank reg set for the longer hose 2nd stage, so it runs straight down from the 1st stage and loops under my right arm - instead of starting by running out to the side, then bending down to go under my arm.

The Z2 does not have a swivel. That is one of the reasons I choose it over the Z3.

The Z2 has a bottom LP port. The F8 does not (as far as I can tell). That by itself would be reason enough for me to pick the Z2 over the F8.

I like to use the bottom port on a single tank reg set for the longer hose 2nd stage, so it runs straight down from the 1st stage and loops under my right arm - instead of starting by running out to the side, then bending down to go under my arm.
I didn’t know you were one of the little people Stuart :wink: my long hose has to travel almost a foot to get to my arm pit.

I didn’t know you were one of the little people Stuart :wink: my long hose has to travel almost a foot to get to my arm pit.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I don't even know what that means! But, no, nobody that has ever met me has gone away referring to me as one of the little people...

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I don't even know what that means! But, no, nobody that has ever met me has gone away referring to me as one of the little people...
I think you can handle an F8 :wink: shall I send you one to try out?

I think you can handle an F8 :wink: shall I send you one to try out?
Ha ha! Thank you, but I don't think that is necessary. :) It's not about what will work. They would both work. It's about what I PREFER. And I PREFER the hose routing from using a bottom LP port.

Besides, I have enough of your stuff on loan... :)

Zeagle F8 = $650

Atomic Z2 = $570

And, straight from Zeagle's page: "To create this regulator, Zeagle collaborated with Atomic Aquatics..."

Notice that Atomic doesn't offer a regulator that they collaborated with anyone else on...

I have no doubt that the F8 is a very fine regulator. Don't take this as knocking it in any way.

But, $80 less and the Z2 gives you a bottom port (which you certainly do not have to use if you don't want to)....

Zeagle F8 = $650

Atomic Z2 = $570

And, straight from Zeagle's page: "To create this regulator, Zeagle collaborated with Atomic Aquatics..."

Notice that Atomic doesn't offer a regulator that they collaborated with anyone else on...

I have no doubt that the F8 is a very fine regulator. Don't take this as knocking it in any way.

But, $80 less and the Z2 gives you a bottom port (which you certainly do not have to use if you don't want to)....
Owned by the same company, the best thing is I found a new F8 for a touch over $500and bought a used one for just over 300. I like the sealed first stage better and it’s part of the deal on the Zeagle, just easier since I do my own service but the Z is an amazingly good regulator and it doesn’t put you behind anyone performance wise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom