Atomic Z2 vs Zeagle F8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Owned by the same company,
And both are made in the same facility.

I've been using Zeagle regs for years. Currently using FH7 with the upgrades developed with Atomic that go into the F8. I also regularly use Atomics (B2), but as they all pretty much breathe the same (except TFX), I'd expect they'd be comparable.

Based on my experience, I would be happy with either one. I have a slight preference to the Zeagle due to it being a sealed diaphragm. The Atomic piston can be sealed, but not quite as easily. The Zeagle does not have the bottom port, but I wouldn't use it with my configuration, so not a big deal. If you would, then no question, get the Atomic. The Atomic also has the automatic Venturi. It works nice, but I wouldn't say it's a must have.

Either one will perform well in tough conditions, so there really is no wrong answer.

I don't know what y'all are talking about.

I can click Add To Cart on a sealed Atomic Z2 just as easily as I can click Add To Cart on an F8.

They both take exactly the same effort for me to drop off for servicing and pick back up later, too.

:D

I haven't heard a single reason yet why the F8 is worth it to pay MORE money for it than to buy a Z2.

I can click Add To Cart on a sealed Atomic Z2 just as easily as I can click Add To Cart on an F8.

They both take exactly the same effort for me to drop off for servicing and pick back up later, too.

:D
True. No more effort to buy or to have serviced by a shop. Though, I do suspect that there is an additional cost for the lube to seal the piston.

True. No more effort to buy or to have serviced by a shop. Though, I do suspect that there is an additional cost for the lube to seal the piston.

Probably. Is that offset by not having to have the Atomic serviced as often? I don't know. I haven't needed to service any of my Atomics yet. They're only something like 4 years old, I think?

Probably. Is that offset by not having to have the Atomic serviced as often? I don't know.
Doubt it. Service interval is about the same for the Z2 and the F8, depending on how often it's used. Z2 recommendation is 300 hours or 2 years. F8 is 200 hours or 2 years. Both recommend an annual inspection.

How often does either “need” servicing? I’m using a used F8 that has likely never been serviced, and been using for a year and it’s still 100% I’ve done the same with Atomic. How much is a sealed Z?

They are both High Performance regs. They are both really nice. Atomic comes with rubber hose and Zeagle comes with flex hose. The Atomic Reg that compares most evenly with the F8 is the Atomic M1. Maybe that is the price comparison to look at?

I use Zeagle and never service them. I used a Zeagle for 12 years, worked fine used it like 500 times. If it ant broke don't fix it.

Doubt it. Service interval is about the same for the Z2 and the F8, depending on how often it's used. Z2 recommendation is 300 hours or 2 years. F8 is 200 hours or 2 years. Both recommend an annual inspection.

300 hours versus 200 is a lot!

But, the real question is not what the manual says. The question is how long they will go without having any issues.

How often does either “need” servicing? I’m using a used F8 that has likely never been serviced, and been using for a year and it’s still 100% I’ve done the same with Atomic. How much is a sealed Z?

A sealed Z2 is $600. Versus $650 for an F8.

They are both High Performance regs. They are both really nice. Atomic comes with rubber hose and Zeagle comes with flex hose.

Another point for the Atomic. I prefer rubber hoses. You can get rubber hoses nowadays that are just as flexible as "flex" hoses. When I ordered my most recent regs (Dive Rite XT1/4), they default to flex hoses, but I got them with rubber (a zero cost upgrade).

The Atomic Reg that compares most evenly with the F8 is the Atomic M1. Maybe that is the price comparison to look at?

Why is the M1 most even? The Z2 and F8 are both zirconium air barrels. They are all 3 chrome-over-brass 1st stages.

Back
Top Bottom