Atomic vs Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLOBALflyer

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first reg. The two reg's I am interested in are the Atomic Z1 and the Apeks ATX-200. What reg is better as far a performance and maintainability. I want to be able to take it apart if necessary (clean sand out, etc..). My LDS is pushing me towards the Atomic (probablely because they carry it). I hear a dozen different opions on every reg I am interested in.
What would you recommend.
thx,

I dive the APEKS DS4/ATX50's and love them. You don't have to take out a second mortgage on your house to afford them, and most people when they get serious about their diving will purchase a backup reg. There is virtually no difference in these and the ATX 200's except for cost. I tried a friends ATX 200 and my DS4 breathes equally as well. Give some consideration to maintainability, especially if you'll be traveling abroad to dive as the APEKS will be easier to secure parts than the Atomic. If you really want to be on the safe side purchase US Divers regs, although US Divers now owns APEKS and replaced the Seaquest line of regs with APEKS, which will make the parts even more available. The top of the line US Divers regs now have incorporated some of the better features of the APEKS, which has made a great reg even better than great. Hope I have helped.

GLOBALflyer:
I am looking to buy my first reg. The two reg's I am interested in are the Atomic Z1 and the Apeks ATX-200. What reg is better as far a performance and maintainability. I want to be able to take it apart if necessary (clean sand out, etc..). My LDS is pushing me towards the Atomic (probablely because they carry it). I hear a dozen different opions on every reg I am interested in.
What would you recommend.
thx,

Global, i have 2 Atomic M-1's in Din i use for my double's, i can only tell you i dove over a dozen reg's this past year, many of them well known brand's (don't want to start a fight here) , and love my Atmoic M-1, i use if for cave diving, deep wreck diving, and everything else in between, if i wasn't going the rebreather route here in a few week's, i would dive them untill i found somthing that beat it, until now i havn't, personal choice, as is any reg ., i tried many reg's before investing into my M-1's, and once i bought one, and wasn't diving the same reg on opposite side on ym double's, i descided to spend the extra money, and just go with two, as for part's just easyer for me here in FL, as availbilty is everywhere for them, a ton of dealer's here in the USA, just look up there website's and compare the two, i never had nor breathed a Apex, i know there well liked here on the board, easy to work on, but i must say the M-1 breathed the best for me, that reg is hard to beat, im going to miss it when i goto a rebreather here in a few week's :wink:

Thx for your replies. Its a hard call between the two. I think it might have to come down to cost and serviceability. I am planning to dive in Asia for a few weeks and getting parts might be an issue for the Atomics from what I was told. FLTEKDIVER are you interested in selling your M-1's? I like the price/quality/performance of the ATX50. I have heard good things about the Atomics as well. Anyone else out there who likes there ATX50 or Z-1?

The Z1 will breath the same as the B2 or M1, just does not have swivels, anti freeze vanes, etc... but the performance will be the same. And as far as service, since it's a pretty straight forward piston design first stage... really anyone can service it. There are other regs that seats can be stolen from to fit in an emergency. And the way they are designed with the 2nd stage seat saver, they really stand up well.

GLOBALflyer:
Thx for your replies. Its a hard call between the two. I think it might have to come down to cost and serviceability. I am planning to dive in Asia for a few weeks and getting parts might be an issue for the Atomics from what I was told. FLTEKDIVER are you interested in selling your M-1's? I like the price/quality/performance of the ATX50. I have heard good things about the Atomics as well. Anyone else out there who likes there ATX50 or Z-1?

Global, goto the gear exchange, as it's for sale in there, except i have two people all ready interested, just waiting on payment, scubatoy's has great prices, i would highley recommend them if you were going to buy new :wink:

Im going to sell both, made up my mind, i have 5 set's of reg's , and the little that i'll be using OC gear once i goto rebreather here in a few week's, i don;t need the Atomic's, once i start diving the rebreather, i would see no reason to go back to OC.

Good luck on your descion, as i strongley recommend the Atomic line from a personal view, as i belive in them, and love the way the breath, good luck :wink:

Both are good regs. You would do fine with either one. The Apeks is a bit easier to service. The Atomic doesn't require the same service interval (each year) as do other regs and you do pay for the Atomic parts on each service. Apeks the parts are included on the annual service. Feel confident buying either. I would go for the M1 of the Atomic line If I dived them all the time. I do dive Apeks. Again as I said both are good regs

FLTEKDIVER:
scubatoy's has great prices, i would highley recommend them if you were going to buy new :wink:
Yup. Bought mine there and everything was as advertised. Service, price and delivery.
And of course, I love the reg. Besides, one of the owners is a regular poster here on SB, so we always know where to find him. :eyebrow:

I have an ATX50 and have no complaints. I could
have gone with Atomic but chose Apeks because I
got a better deal on price. I agree with some other
earlier posts in that you should choose the regulator that is mostly
easily serviceable in your area. I think (providing you can get
both serviced easily) it like comparing a Ford to Chevy. It
comes down to personal preference, as both are high
quality regs. Happy Diving!

Back
Top Bottom