Atomic subframe mask with prescription?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sufur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
on the atomic website it says that this mask needs to be ordered from dealer to get the prescription lenses. has anyone done this? Does anyone know of any online sites that can order it with prescrption lenses as i dont have access to any dive shops.

I have Atomics SubFrame with Rx lenses. How it works is that the shop you buy it from sends it in to Atomics to put the Rx lenses in. I have a feeling that no grey market shops have access to this service, so you will need to buy through authorized dealer.

I don't have Atomics dealers in town either, so I bought the mask from out of town shop, had them order the lenses and they then sent the mask to me. That shop does not exist anymore.

If I was you I would start asking from Scubatoys (www.scubatoys.com) because they are Atomics dealer and a shop in good standing that serves whole country. If that does not work call Atomics itself and they will advice you.

how do you like them?

The Atomic Subframe and Frameless masks are phenomenal.

Try www.DiveSeekers.com as well.

Give Wayne or Jason a call over there and they'll hook you up!

I too use an Atomics Subframe with PDM prescription lenses. Outstanding! It's a very comfortable mask and PDM does a great job. The only downside is that the mask is a little heavier because of the lenses but that would be true of any mask with prescription lenses.

I'm sure one of the dealers above can work with you on this. And the folks at Atomic are great, also, if you have any issues.

so pdm will put prescriptions in a mask you already own? not just the ones they sell? do you think it would be really worth it to get an exact prescription to go with pdm?

Atomic SubFrame with Rx is awesome. It's the best mask I have, and I have had a lot of problems with my masks.

I have somewhat strong lenses ~-4.5 in both eyes and the lenses are thick, yes. Gunk gets into the grooves because the lenses jump so high up. However they feel superior to the other Rx lenses I have, brighter somehow. Also the downward view is maximized with the Rx lens reaching as far as possible in every direction. Not like with some other made-to-order lenses where the Rx part is glued only to cover the very middle part of the glass.

The other great thing about the Atomic is that the silicone is very very soft, sealing in superior fashion. I have used mine now for about 3 years and it's holding on great. The strap/buckle system is also something I like better with this mask than my others, very smooth operating.

If you have poor eyesight it's well worth getting mask in your own strengths.

so pdm will put prescriptions in a mask you already own? not just the ones they sell? do you think it would be really worth it to get an exact prescription to go with pdm?

Yes. It doesn't have to be a mask on their website. In fact, I've never bought a mask off their website.

As far as an exact prescription, it's not only worth it for me it's an absolute necessity since I wear bifocal glasses. Whenever I get a new prescription, which is roughly about every two years, I buy a new mask and mail it along with a copy of the prescription to PDM. I also include a cover letter with my phone number, so they can call for my credit card number once the mask arrives.

I also call to let them know the mask is on its way but that's not really necessary. It just makes me feel better.

When I get the new mask back, it becomes my primary and I keep my former primary mask as a backup.

And I agree: the Atomic Sub-Frame with Rx is an awesome mask. I seriously doubt I'll ever use a different model again, although I'm tempted to try an Atomic Frameless someday. But it's hard for me to imagine another mask that could be as comfortable and, as with all things Atomic, even though it's expensive it's well worth it to me.

i guess i just need to decide on whether to go with a close prescription and go with atomic lenses or get a custom matching prescription from pdm glued in.

would there be any downside to having the glued in lenses?

I'll echo other comments; go with PDM lenses. I've had in my old masks, and just had installed in a new Oceanic Frameless. I'm a +4.5 and +5.5, with astigmatism, and bifocals. Nothing beats custom prescriptions, unless possibly you're a perfect generic and can get from the manufacturer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom