atomic splitfins vs apollo biofins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcat

Reaction score
I've recently tried a pair of apollo biofins (EX) and I must say that I'm now a convert. Could do all the kicks (frog, sculling backwards), had no problems changing direction and could even swim circles around everybody on the surface without getting the slightest strain on my legs.

Before I break the piggy bank, I'd like to hear your opinion on apollo biofins vs atomic splitfins. They look sort of similar and I've also heard good things about the atomics. Of course, the atomics also have sharper looks.

Has anybody tried both fins and thinks that the atomics are the better than the apollos? I'd like to hear why. Thanks!

T/C,

If you will look back in this area you will find numerous threads on both of these fins.

ID

thanks iguana. i was wondering if there was a direct comparison. will take another look.

I've used both and they are very very different fins. I'm always amused when someone lumps all split fins together to condemn them, there is a huge difference between different models.

The Atomics feel very similar to paddle fins, you have basically all of the control that a paddle fin would provide. They are a very heavy fin but a neutral to slightly positively buoyant. The kicking resistance is much higher than the Apollo fins.

The Biofins have less kicking resistance but provide very little control. They will highlight any problems with your trim because you will have to kick constantly to correct it. They are smaller lighter fins, but are slightly negatively buoyant in fresh water.

My wife loves the Biofins and they have greatly improved her diving. I don't like them at all but I have been happy with the Atomics. Bottom line, you need to test the fins in a pool and on a dive to determine what will work for you. And remember these are only two (at the extreme ends of the split fin spectrum) out of over a dozen different brands/models available.

Ralph

Hi ive tryed apollo atomic and the twin jets!
I bought the atomics for the reasons stated above!!!
They are great fins !!!!!!!!
Rick L

Rodale's tested the Atomic fin in two versions including an "EZ Kick" which was more flexible of the two. Both models had the same basic performance. They said the sizes run large. Also, they intended to test the unusual quick release buckles for durability.

devjr,

Please provide a reference. I can find no reference to an "EZ Kick" version of the Atomic Aquatics fin and Rodales does not appear to refer to one in their most recent review, which I have copied below.

Ralph

Note -- mine don't seem to be negatively buoyant.

Rodales Review http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/propfins/review.shtml

Atomic Aquatics Splitfin ($189)
Buoyancy in Salt Water: Negative.
Foot Pocket Drains: Open toe.
Relative Stiffness: Average.
Blade Size: Larger than average.
Foot Sizes: 3.
Colors: 3.
Made In: Taiwan.

The Atomic SplitFin earned the best ergonomic score of any fin we've ever tested. This may be partly due to the fact that this propeller fin retains some of the advantages of paddle fins. It has the largest blade size of any propeller fin, therefore requiring a slower, slightly larger kick than other propeller fins. The large blade improves this fin's scores on changing direction and on some of the kick variations. The Atomic SplitFin is also extremely stable.

Negative buoyancy and the open-toe design are also both advantages. The buckle system is unique and outstanding. Rather than separating into two parts, the entire buckle comes off the post, making it extremely easy to remove or replace. The SplitFins are made of two different materials with battens molded into the blades.

Thanks devjr,

I don't think the EZflex fins exist anymore. They may have only been in the prototype stage and never made it to market. That report was witten in May 2000 when only one size of AA fin was available (large). The testing would have occured several months earlier, before the fins were on the market. By the November/December 2000 report Rodale's no longer mentions them (http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/2001gear/2001fins.shtml), they aren't mentioned on the A.A. web site (http://www.atomicaquatics.com/products/fins/splitfin.htm), and Leisure Pro doesn't list them with the A.A fins they sell.

Ralph

I went to a retail store yesterday (no tryouts in my part of town) to have a look at the Tusa Xpert Zooms. The rotating blades seem to be reinforced and are pretty stiff. Definitely not as floppy as the biofins. Does anybody if the Tusa Xpert Zooms are similar in feel and efficiency to the Atomic Splitfins?

Back
Top Bottom