atomic split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idoair

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife bought a pair of Atomic Splitfins in 2007. They are cracking on the top if the foot cup. Is this unusual or can I expect to spend $200 on fins every 4 years? talked with atomic and they say 1 year warranty. Guess I'll try another brand. Any Suggestions.

How did you have them stored? I have some 4 year old Atomic splits that are still in great shape.

It is not unusual. Happened to me after less than a year, and I've known others with the same problem. I think it's a manufacturing defect, but Atomic does not concur. I do like the fins though, and replaced them with another pair. You MUST keep the foot inserts in the fins when packed or stored. Makes a big difference.
On the other hand, you could just buy a pair of Mares Quattros, which would probably last for 15 years or so. I switched only because of ankle problems, and hope I'll be able to go back to them again.

i can't help myself.......
"why do you think they call 'em SPLIT FINS???"
...sorry,my bad!
have fun
yaeg
ps my fins are 34 year old sp's-no cracks,rips,runs or tears,...just sayin':cool2:

I've got a six year old pair... not a dent (but I *do* keep the inserts in all my fins).

I do not own any Atomic products, but I do now for around the same price ScubaPro Twin jet max fins are very nice and come with spring straps. The Twin jet max also comes with a lifetime warranty.

or you could try the 100% all natural rubber Apollo Bio (split) fins (with stainless steel spring straps)...I've got 5 pairs, and I suspect they could survive a nuclear blast ! ...needless to say, I don't bother to leave those sissy 'inserts' in the foot pockets while they're in storage either, they won't self-destruct without them, as apparently some other fins would!

My wife bought a pair of Atomic Splitfins in 2007. They are cracking on the top if the foot cup. Is this unusual or can I expect to spend $200 on fins every 4 years? talked with atomic and they say 1 year warranty. Guess I'll try another brand. Any Suggestions.

I think it is a rare occurrence. I've been testing Atomic fins for years. In fact I still have a pair of the split fins the first year they were released and no problems what so ever. Atomic has also been improving the compounds and moldings of the fins every years. So you might have just got a defect. I wouldn't hesitate to get another pair, they have certainly improved even more since 2007.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom