Atomic or poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guapo69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm still thinking about which reg I should buy. I know that the atomics are good but what about Poseidon. I read a lot of good comments from really experienced divers. I'm not a tech diver but want to keep options open for the future. I was looking about the poseidon xstream duration. The pricing I got on the two regs is about the same (poseidon abit sheaper) but money had never been the issue. We are not talking about buying a car, it's a reg but can be as dangerous to me when it fails to work than a car.
One thing I saw is that the Second stage is half the weight as the Atomic!
:idk:

Thanks already

You will not die because you choose one particular brand over another.
Will you be diving in cold water?
If yes, then your best choice is a diaphragm 1st stage......Poseidon.
If no then you can choose just about any reg you like with confidence that it will keep you alive.

I not a big fan of Poseidon....mainly because of servicing difficulties.
My 20 years of putting on a wetsuit for a living leads me to Apeks (or a good clone like HOG) as my reg of choice......mainly because of ease of service and stability between (sometimes very extended) services.

I don't know about other regulators , you mentioned I've had SCUBA Pro, that free flow in cold water so after reading the Navy tests that poseidon was good to 300 ft
breathing I went with this regulator never look back. I personally have no problem service the regulator.

I like the Poseidon XStream. It breathes beautifully in any position. You can use it upside down (means if you are using sidemount you can have the left side second stage come in from the left rather than routing it around your neck and coming in from the right).

In the past I would not consider a Poseidon regulator because getting it serviced was difficult and expensive. Recently, my shop has become a Poseidon dealer and service centre. My next set of regulators will be Poseidon regulators (buying a set this summer). We sell Atomic as well but the shop owner does not recommend them since I will be doing cold water (ice) diving in the future.

I am a long-time fan of side-exhaust/ambidextrous regulators, so there is a built-in bias. Poseidon service in the US is spotty, but probably not in Belgium. Poseidon may have a slight edge for really cold/ice diving. I have had several older Poseidons and currently have an Atomic Z2. The Z2 feels crowed in my mouth with a thick hood, but is a beautifully crafted product.

Last edited:
thanks already for this useful info.
Servicing poseidon is no problem over here where we have 10 dealers in a 100 mile radius country!
My closest dealer is about 30 miles but for atomic it's also 20 so this makes no difference.
Cold water, it's about 7 to 10 degrees in winter to mid season.

Money is no issue you say? Hmm, for me it'd be either the Scubapro MK25/A700 Black Tech or the MK25/S600 Titanium.

You can't go wrong with any Atomic reg, though, and the Deep XStream reg by Poseidon is also really good. My instructor uses that reg.

I'd be happy with any of them, and I'm sure you would be, too!

Sorry, but why risk a piston reg like the MK25 for very cold water......especially if you are buying new.

Sorry, but why risk a piston reg like the MK25 for very cold water......especially if you are buying new.

Direct from Scubapro.com -

"Cold Water Diving With SCUBAPRO- Diving conditions can be drastically different, including extreme cold water and outside temperatures, posing the possibility of a regulator "freezing." Therefore, resistance to freezing is imperative for the diver. SCUBPRO regulator systems are CE approved for 4300 psi cold water diving. Some models go even beyond this super stringent qualification and have successfully been tested in extreme cold diving conditions at less than 36 degrees Fahrenheit. As a specific anti-freezing measure, SCUBAPRO enginers have designed a patented finned cap for both the MK17 and the MK25 first stages for optimal cold water diving. The ribs act as a radiator to increase the surface area of heat transfer from the water to warm up the internal parts that have been drastically cooled down by the gas pressure drop. On the MK17, a dry ambient pressure chamber enhances the resistance to real ice cold water at any depth compared to other dry chamber diaphragm first stages. For cold water diving, SCUBAPRO's second stages feature precision molded carbon fiber and technopolymer valve housing and components. They even exceed the CE cold water norm. In addition, these components contribute to their lightweight features and corrosion resistance."

I've yet to hear of anyone having issues with the MK25/S600 Titanium in any conditions.

Poseidon regs have the best work of breathing rating at any depth of any regulator available. Also they are the only brand that has a actual oxygen service regulator right out of the box if you decide you want to do any decompression diving and would like to set up an oxygen deco cylinder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom