Atomic mask now leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an Atomic Subframe mask going on 2 1/2 yrs now. Corrective lenses put it by them when I bought it.

I love this mask. The wide view is awesome. It always felt a little too big for my face (I'm a woman) but it never leaked. Now it has started to leak and the problem seems to be getting worse. When I turn my head to the side I have water coming in on the right side. Constantly having to clear.

This became problematic on a recent nighttime deco dive with a current. I was trying to read my gauge and was having a hard time with all the water coming in.

This was a ridiculously expensive mask-especially with the inserts-and I can't believe that I am looking at buying something new. Has anyone else had this problem? I want the same masks, maybe the smaller version though. But I'm hesitant to spend hundreds of dollars again.

Have you figured out why it's leaking? Tear or hole in the skirt? Lens separating?

Have you figured out why it's leaking? Tear or hole in the skirt? Lens separating?

I just looked at it again and the edge of the mask that attaches to the lens part is completely separated. It's a small opening but obviously big enough. Maybe I can glue it? I don't know if I would trust my glue job :D

It's a good thing that I was carrying a spare prescription mask.

Contact Atomic and see what they suggest for repair.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do that. It really is a great mask. I just don't understand why it's breaking now. Seems like it should have a longer life than this.

Let us know what they say.

Atomics seem a nice enough a company, perhaps you could also just buy the smaller skirt itself just in case.

SangP

I'm having exactly the same problem with the same mask. I have prescription lenses installed and the mask has begun leaking in the last couple of months.

I have an Atomic Subframe mask going on 2 1/2 yrs now. Corrective lenses put it by them when I bought it.

I love this mask. The wide view is awesome. It always felt a little too big for my face (I'm a woman) but it never leaked. Now it has started to leak and the problem seems to be getting worse. When I turn my head to the side I have water coming in on the right side. Constantly having to clear.

This became problematic on a recent nighttime deco dive with a current. I was trying to read my gauge and was having a hard time with all the water coming in.

This was a ridiculously expensive mask-especially with the inserts-and I can't believe that I am looking at buying something new. Has anyone else had this problem? I want the same masks, maybe the smaller version though. But I'm hesitant to spend hundreds of dollars again.

I have a prescription TUSA. Last time I had the lenses changes, when the technician put the mask back together, he left a pinch in the skirt where it goes into the frame. So on my next dive trip, the mask started leaking: that side would fill halfway up with water. Very annoying to have to dive with one eye closed. Particularly with my dive buddy insisting that the leak was coming from my hair wicking water under the seal when the issue started. Even as it got progressively worse.

The mask apparently couldn't be repaired, so I ended up having my lenses put into another used mask (dive buddy decided to get a different mask). Knowing what to look for at that point, I made sure it was put back together correctly when I got it back. I also bought a full spare for the save a dive kit.

I no longer do business at that particular dive shop any more. A reg they serviced at the same time also had a major malfunction four days into the same trip and I ended up missing the last day of diving (it was a very frustrating trip for me). The reg issue *may* have been a manufacturer defect. Just not inclined to risk going back when two out of three items they serviced had issues.

I also have a new dive buddy.

I'm scared to change the lenses again, though it would be nice update them. The difference is more noticable above the water than underwater.

I went by my LDS today and what we are going to do is send it back to Atomic with the new mask that I bought. I went with the Frameless this time and got it in medium which fits my face a lot better anyway. Looks like they will be able to take the lenses and bond them to the new mask. So it's not so bad in the way of cost. The mask started coming apart at the lenses from a lot of use and probably being stored in the box it came in between dives. I did have it for 2 1/2 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom