Atomic Mask Leaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYRugby

Reaction score
Anyone else had a problem with the Atomic Subframe? I purchased 2 Atomic Subframe masks for my wife and myself last summer. Excited to utilize the UntraClear lenses, etc...we've had roughly 25 dives with them. The issue is, they leak. All the time. Both of us. Now, I could see one of us, etc...but they both leak, with or without silicon "grease"...and they both leak from the same area...just below the nose. I love the soft skirt, but wonder if it's just not sealing on our lip-region due to the reg being in our mouth or something. I offer that b/c when we try them on, sans reg (but above water), we get what appears to be a good seal/fit. I've checked for holes and that is not it. It has occurred since new and continues...about to give up...Any recommendations??? Many Thanks in advance.

NYRugby:
Anyone else had a problem with the Atomic Subframe? I purchased 2 Atomic Subframe masks for my wife and myself last summer. Excited to utilize the UntraClear lenses, etc...we've had roughly 25 dives with them. The issue is, they leak. All the time. Both of us. Now, I could see one of us, etc...but they both leak, with or without silicon "grease"...and they both leak from the same area...just below the nose. I love the soft skirt, but wonder if it's just not sealing on our lip-region due to the reg being in our mouth or something. I offer that b/c when we try them on, sans reg (but above water), we get what appears to be a good seal/fit. I've checked for holes and that is not it. It has occurred since new and continues...about to give up...Any recommendations??? Many Thanks in advance.
Could be they just don't work for you. Did you try them with a reg in your mouth when you checked the seal? Always do that. And don't just suck in. Look in the mirror and feel around to see if the mask naturally seals to your face with the reg (or snorkel) in your mouth.
In either case, just take them back. If it is a mask defect, Atomic will warranty it. If not, the dealer should let you return it.

Edit: oops. Just reread your post. You did NOT have reg in mouth. Probably it. Take it back, and try masks on with the reg in your mouth. Look for a good passive seal. I am sure the shop will take it back or at least exchange it.

Bought one last summer, and it leaked as well... However, in my case, it was my stache (I think). My wife inherited it, and she loves it... No leaks at all...

I switched to the SeaVision Ultra (clear lens)... First mask I've had that stays dry...

My mustache will typically be a source for a leak with any mask. However, with SubFrame I do not notice any difference between it and my older Sherwood Genesis IV.

Trying a mask with your reg is probably your best bet.

Agree with everyone else so far. It's a fit issue. I doubt a reasonable merchant would exchange them after a year of use. You really should have done this right away.

eBay them (or post them here!) and go buy different masks. Make sure to try them on beforehand :)

You might want to try different mouthpieces like a comfobite or a seacure.

Nobody, even the Atomic gods can't make a universal fit mask. The onus is on the buyer to check the fit like any mask.

In the case of a low volume mask any water entry will be more apparent in the smaller space.

They do offer them in two sizes, did you try both? Since you suspect the upper lip the change in width may not be any help.

Pete

The bottom part of the skirt is pretty similar for all Atomic masks. People with flatter faces need not apply.

Back
Top Bottom