Atomic frameless vs Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was actually in the pool yesterday comparing the Atomic frameless with the Atomic Subframe. When trying to clear the frameless it took me 3-4 times to get all the water out. When trying to clear the subframe it all come out in 1 time. I tried around 12 different mask from Atomic, Deep See, Oceanic, and IST. With my face they all leaked. I could not find any mask that did not leak. The Atomic leaked the least so that is the one I purchased. It filled about half of the nose area with water in 5 laps around the pool at 4 ft depth. To be completely honest. The silicone on the Atomic felt sooooooo much more soft and comfortable than the others. Again this is just personal experience. I would definetely give the Atomic a shot. I will be watching this thread to because I would love to hear form someone with experience using the Mares Liquiskin mask. I thought about getting one just to try since I could not find one that did not leak.

Pro99line-

Where did you masks tend to leak? Was it on your cheeks on the bottom of the mask? Reason I ask is because I've had a devil of a time finding a non-leaking mask, and what the issue turned out to be is the fact that I have a relatively narrow face (but it doesn't LOOK narrow).

I'd put a mask on in a store using the look-upward, gently inhale method and it would seal fine. In the water, it would leak. All of the masks I tried (including multiple Deep See masks, a Scubapro Frameless and clones, a Sea Vision and the Atomic Subframe) turned out to have narrow, shallow, skirts that didn't seal well to my face in the water--despite fitting well in the store.

So, if that sounds like you, I'd suggest a narrow mask. Mares makes some "mid" masks, Atomic makes a mid-fit mask, and some of the Tusa masks (check their website for specs) are narrow. Ultimately, I found two that work, a narrow Deep See and a Oceanic XSite, which is unfortunately out of production now.

A shot in the dark, but that is my experience. YMMV.

dsteding:
Pro99line-

Where did you masks tend to leak? Was it on your cheeks on the bottom of the mask? Reason I ask is because I've had a devil of a time finding a non-leaking mask, and what the issue turned out to be is the fact that I have a relatively narrow face (but it doesn't LOOK narrow).

I'd put a mask on in a store using the look-upward, gently inhale method and it would seal fine. In the water, it would leak. All of the masks I tried (including multiple Deep See masks, a Scubapro Frameless and clones, a Sea Vision and the Atomic Subframe) turned out to have narrow, shallow, skirts that didn't seal well to my face in the water--despite fitting well in the store.

So, if that sounds like you, I'd suggest a narrow mask. Mares makes some "mid" masks, Atomic makes a mid-fit mask, and some of the Tusa masks (check their website for specs) are narrow. Ultimately, I found two that work, a narrow Deep See and a Oceanic XSite, which is unfortunately out of production now.

A shot in the dark, but that is my experience. YMMV.

The mask leak right under my nose area. They seal fine when dry testing. I did not try dry testing with a reg in my mouth though. I may need to try that also. I tried an Oceanic mini Shadow and it leaked pretty bad and felt way too small on my face. I will be ordering a Mares Liquidskin on Monday and as soon as I get it I will test it and see how it works.

pro99line:
The mask leak right under my nose area. They seal fine when dry testing. I did not try dry testing with a reg in my mouth though. I may need to try that also. I tried an Oceanic mini Shadow and it leaked pretty bad and felt way too small on my face. I will be ordering a Mares Liquidskin on Monday and as soon as I get it I will test it and see how it works.

If the mini-shadow didn't fit it may not be the same problem I had.

Most of the masks you were trying-particularly the Atomic subframe, have a narrow skirt below the nose, that seems to be a trend in newer mask designs. I found that those would leak there as well. The Liquidskin (I've tried one of those) has more width under the nose. Also, FWIW, I find a close shave on my upper lip helps with getting a good seal there.

Good luck, I've been through the the same process, and it can get quite frustrating.

plwtwo:
I have an Atomic and a MARES X-Vision...they both are good masks. The Atomic is SUPER clear thanks to the non-green glass. It also uses s softer silicone for the mask skirt so its a little more comfortable over long dive(s) trips. ITs worth the money!!
And the Atomic clears the same way any mask clears.

We sell both of them, and it really depends on the person... kind of a coin toss. The Atomic is much more expensive, and the glass is very clear - if you look at them side by side you can see a slight difference. I did a little test however, and had people close their eyes for a minute, then put on a mask with eyes closed, then open them and tell me if they had the clear glass or standard glass... No one could actually tell. So as long as you don't swim up to another diver, and borrow theirs to put next to yours... you might never know. So I'd say go for the one you think looks the coolest! (or the better fit... which ever is most important for you.)

pro99line:
I was actually in the pool yesterday comparing the Atomic frameless with the Atomic Subframe. When trying to clear the frameless it took me 3-4 times to get all the water out. When trying to clear the subframe it all come out in 1 time. I tried around 12 different mask from Atomic, Deep See, Oceanic, and IST. With my face they all leaked. I could not find any mask that did not leak. The Atomic leaked the least so that is the one I purchased. It filled about half of the nose area with water in 5 laps around the pool at 4 ft depth. To be completely honest. The silicone on the Atomic felt sooooooo much more soft and comfortable than the others. Again this is just personal experience. I would definetely give the Atomic a shot. I will be watching this thread to because I would love to hear form someone with experience using the Mares Liquiskin mask. I thought about getting one just to try since I could not find one that did not leak.

Hi,

Could you please list all the masks you have tried as this may allow those of us who have the same facial shape to find masks easier the next time.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom