Atomic frameless vs Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Title pretty much sums it all up. Has anyone tried them both out? Which is the better mask?

I'm torn between the two...

thanks

Jack

I don't know about the Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin (whew) mask, but I have the Atomic frameless and it's a little tricky to clear. I think do to the super-low volume, the water in the mask sprays into my eyes when I try to clear it. If I crack it using my hand (which I don't) it fills with water faster than I can keep up with. I just close my eyes while purging. With my Oceanic shadow, I never have this problem. Otherwise, the view is great.

Mask fitting is a very personal thing for most people. I use the regular X-Vision and it works great, my girlfriend hated them, didn't fit her faced well.

evad:
I don't know about the Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin (whew) mask, but I have the Atomic frameless and it's a little tricky to clear. I think do to the super-low volume, the water in the mask sprays into my eyes when I try to clear it. If I crack it using my hand (which I don't) it fills with water faster than I can keep up with. I just close my eyes while purging. With my Oceanic shadow, I never have this problem. Otherwise, the view is great.

I've been thinking about the Atomic frameless mask. I thought low volume would make it easier to clear not trickier to clear. Can you elaborate a bit. Do you have to clear it often? Also, if you don't crack it using your hand what do you use?

Don Janni:
I've been thinking about the Atomic frameless mask. I thought low volume would make it easier to clear not trickier to clear. Can you elaborate a bit. Do you have to clear it often? Also, if you don't crack it using your hand what do you use?

I use nose-power often and unconsciously. The problem only happens if I smile or if I'm
using water to de-fog. It really isn't a problem, just an adjustment. For the first couple of boat dives I carried my Shadow in case I flooded the Atomic and freaked out. That never happened and I love the huge field of vision especially looking down. I can almost see my adams apple. Hope this helps you and the OP.

Oh yeah, the amount of force required to clear the mask with nose-power is very close to the amount of force required to make any water in the mask splash around. In my case, into my eyes. YMMV. I think the skirt comes in dfferent sizes, so ask about that.

I have an Atomic and a MARES X-Vision...they both are good masks. The Atomic is SUPER clear thanks to the non-green glass. It also uses s softer silicone for the mask skirt so its a little more comfortable over long dive(s) trips. ITs worth the money!!
And the Atomic clears the same way any mask clears.

plwtwo you have the frameless?

so you like it better than the mares?

I have never noticed my mares x-vision having any green tint to it...but then again, i've never compared it to anything else

so the atomic mask is basically like a starphire glass?

thanks!

any clearing problems, water getting into your eyes?

Many people tend to open up their maks too much when clearning, thus allowing water to get inside.

A way of clearing that has worked better for me is just push along the top of the mask w/o pulling out the bottom. Air has to work less to get out through the bottom, thus clearing your mask. Easy.

rakkis:
Many people tend to open up their maks too much when clearning, thus allowing water to get inside.

A way of clearing that has worked better for me is just push along the top of the mask w/o pulling out the bottom. Air has to work less to get out through the bottom, thus clearing your mask. Easy.

I only open it with my hand to let water in to defog.

rakkis:

Thats how I clear mine. Just a little pressure at the top of the mask and a very light exhale through the nose. If I exhale too strong it does spray around a bit inside the mask. My biggest issue is that if I go head down, the little water that might be in there does run down into my eyes. But there is rarely any water in the mask.

Back
Top Bottom