Atomic Frameless mask review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had the opportunity to dive the Atomic Frameless mask this weekend. If you choose to read no farther, my conclusion is it's the best mask I've dove to date.

Fit - This is personal, but for me this mask fit better than any mask I've owned. I have dove the Mares XVision, the Aqualung Mythos, and the Genesis Panview. I know the fit is good because I experienced mask squeeze for the first time. This maybe due to the fact it's a bit larger volume mask, but not by much. I think it formed a seal that other masks have not. I don't have a lot of mask flooding issues, but every mask I've owned has leaked a bit on occasion, until now.

Vision - The clearview glass is noticeably clearer vs. the XVision which does have a slight green cast. Does this make a huge difference? No. Does it make a difference? Yes. I love the BigEyes style mask, and this mask has a wider field of vision vs. anything I've owned. It's again not huge over the XVisioin (which is also a great mask), but it does provide a great field of view.

Comfort - It did not leak, and using the factory strap I had no problems adjusting it so that it was not too tight. I don't think I had mask face after I finished a dive, but did not bother to ask anyone either. I have a mustache, and the only time the mask leaked was when I flooded it to get rid of the mask squeeze at 80'. I did clear it a couple of times just to see how it compared to my two window masks. While this mask has a bit more volume, I did not really notice any difference in clearing this mask vs. others. IOW's, a bit of a puff, and the mask was clear without issue.

Overall I'm glad I purchased this. I did not buy it because I was unhappy with the XVision, rather someone on SB won this mask, and was selling it at an attractive price new with the taggers in tact! However this is now my primary mask hands down.

Agreed. I've used the Tusa Visualator (great view), Mares XVision, Aqualung Mythos (was my goto mask until I wore it out), Cressi Big Eyes, and on and on. This one is my new favorite. I liked the dual-lens sub-frame version over the single-lens frameless version - it just fit better.

I got one a couple of months ago myself, and really love it. Comfortable, easy to clear, and great field of vision, as you mentioned. Glad it's working for you too!

I really liked mine, until I noticed the center piece turning a 'rust' color. BTW... I take excellent care of my gear, so it is not due to neglect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom