Atomic Frameless Mask nose pocket leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g550driver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a new mid fit Atomic Frameless Mask.. It appears to fit very nicely (I have a medium sized face-no facial hair). However.... I tried it in the pool and found that I had water leaking into the nose pocket.. Is this something I should just "deal" with or would you consider this unacceptable?

The design of the nose pocket makes it hard to squeeze your nose to equalize.. I think this is when the leakage is occuring primarily due to distorting the seal when pinching the nose pocket...

My last mask was a SeaDive Ultravision SL HD mask and it didn't work well for me either>>>

I am going on my first "official" scuba trip since being certified and now feel rushed to find a mask that fits or just tolerate what I have??

Thx

Last edited:
Just a follow up on the Atomic Frameless Mask and my new Tusa Geminus Mask.. I tried using both masks again in the pool and immediately had the nose pocket leak with the Atomic.. I decided to take time and play with loosening or tightening the mask and finally found that lowering the mask a tiny amount (perhaps 1-2 mm) on my face and raising the strap slightly on my head stopped the leaking... This method worked on both masks..

Thought I would post for other new user divers experiencing similiar issues..

its pretty unacceptable.. your face bascially doens't fit the mask. i had the same problem my atomics frameless. even with the adjsutments Raj mentioned it stull trickled bits of water.
Ended up buying the Hollis M1 mask. Haven't regretted since.. NO leaks, skrts stiffer, field of vision about 95% of the atomics... all good!

its pretty unacceptable.. your face bascially doens't fit the mask. i had the same problem my atomics frameless. even with the adjsutments Raj mentioned it stull trickled bits of water.
Ended up buying the Hollis M1 mask. Haven't regretted since.. NO leaks, skrts stiffer, field of vision about 95% of the atomics... all good!

I was looking at Hollis mask too... Would you say that you have a medium sized face? I am stuck with mail order since my local shop doesn't carry that one...

Thx

I went ahead and ordered a Hollis to try it out.. Hoping for the best, or else I will have 3 mediocre masks (for my face)... LOL

Last edited:
I, too, have this issue with my atomic frameless mask. I would say I have a medium face, and while snorkeling I noticed some water seepage.

I'll be taking it diving in Roatan this December so I'll see then if it gives me trouble while diving. I hope it was just an adjustment issue.

Okay, got the Hollis M-1 mask yesterday... Wow, it appears to fit perfectly... The silicone is stiffer, however, both outer seal and inner seal conform to my face! Can't wait to try it out...

lxchin, thanks for the recommendation!!!

Take them back ha. The Atomic frameless seems to work very well for me, others seem to have odd fits. It seems that different masks just fit different people I guess.

How do you know you actually needed the mid fit? Sounds to me like some of the masks might be too small. But, some people can wear just about anything and others do have issues. My wife is a hard fit, me, I am easy. For years I never even new that a mask was not supposed to fill up with water. My Atomic Frameless is absolutely dry, a first ever for me. Like buying shoes, sometimes it takes more than one. I tell you this, once you find something you like, buy a spare.

N

Good that the spectra that fits you well. I found that Scubapro, Problue, Tusa and IST to make masks that fit Asian faces better. The best fitting masks also seem to have the softest skirts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom