Atomic Cobalt 2 failurex2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alin2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, after diving Oceanic computers (DataTrans 2) for well over a decade without any failure (except for the screens after ~500 dives). Our fantastic local dive shop recommended the Cobalt 2 which we purchased about 16 months ago. All dives last year, the computers performed well, and I really appreciated rechargeable Li battery over trying to find 3.6 V 1/2 AA batteries.

However, this trip, both my wife’s computer had a depth sensor failure after 2 dives recording a depth of 10 feet at the surface and then my computer had a pressure sensor failure after 4 dives recoding a pressure of 4850 psi cycling to 0 psi not connected to a tank. I brought my wife’s computer on a subsequent dive and the depth sensor was completely off. And, pressurizing my computer on a tank displayed constantly changing pressure.

Luckily, Kona Diving Company has 2 (!!!) spare pressure gauges and computers for us to use so t.hat we wouldn’t have to abort any dives.

Very disappointing that both computers failed within 24 hours of each other less than 2 years from purchase and with <25 dives.

Not sure I can trust them again even if Atomic steps up after the warranty period...which we will see.

I see that with both failing in the same short time period so soon after the warranty expiration that Atomic has very consistent financially optimized build quality.

We are the original designers / developers of the Cobalt's firmware, user interface, and electronics (but not the case). We don't work for Atomic, they licensed the design from us, but we still strive to provide support to users. As a matter of fact, we are in the process of setting up an area here on ScubaBoard specifically for support of these computers. After nearly 10 years there are a lot of them in the field.

Without knowing the serial # I can't check the date of manufacture, but there have been issues we (and other dive computer manufacturers) have suffered from related to these depth sensors, which are widely used. A new sensor type was put into Cobalt production about 1.5 - 2 years ago, the new sensor has had next to no failures and almost certainly can be retrofitted on your wife's computer. The high pressure sensor is harder to diagnose without looking at the computer- it could be a leak or a failure of the sensor itself. It also should be repairable.

I believe Atomic warrantied the computers for 2 years if you registered, I'm not sure if that is still in place or not. In any case feel free to message me here and I will offer any help we can to get these computers functional and reliable. I'll send you a PM here to start the conversation.

-Ron

Back
Top Bottom