Atomic B2primary Z3octo ,service advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rdgeib

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, I recently picked up a regulator setup slightly used, 20 dives on the rig. Atomic B2 primary and Atomic Z2 Octo. The First stage is Atomic as well, I do not know if it is sealed or not, it does have 2 high pressure ports and four low pressure ports if that helps . The equipment is liked new and still has the new rubber smell. The setup was purchased 4 years ago, used on 2 trips and kept in a closet since. My question is does it need serviced. I spoke to a tech at Atomic today and he felt service intervals have more to do with use than time passed, said to service at around 300 dives unless there was an issue.
I will be testing in the pool before going to Cayman in December. Anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Does the rubber band around the middle of the first stage have holes in it? If so the reg is not sealed as the holes allow water to enter the ambient chamber.

As for the servicing. It depends. The tech you spoke with gave you some good advise. My suggestion is to take the reg to a tech and have them run some checks. What is the IP? Does it lock up immediately or take a few minutes? Are there any signs of corrosion (green gunk - especially under the hose protectors))? You can do all that yourself just with a IP gauge:

Intermediate Pressure Gauge with BC Quick Disconnect Fitting ITP-07

However, if you have not done something like that before, take it to a tech and have them teach you. Bring a six pack of beer.

Last edited:
Yes the band around the first stage has holes. No green gunk or anything like that, they could pass for new. I will be in the pool with them in about a week to check them out. Thank you very much for your input.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2015 at 07:27 AM ----------

Just saw the link to the gauge and bought one, thanks again!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom