Atomic B2 intermittent first stage HP port leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacLir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I recently had my Atomic B2 environmentally sealed by a local authorized dealer. I witnessed the leak test in the shop. No leaks. Today, when pre-testing gear before a trip, I hooked the reg to my tank (HP 100) and noted a very clear and significant leak around the HP port to which my gauges are connected. This leak reoccurred consistently and also occurred on the other HP port when I connected my gauges to it. There is no leak when the plugs are in both ports. I then checked the gauge by connecting to a different first stage and no leaks developed after multiple attempts. I next brought the Atomic reg to the dealer. On testing, we noted a sharp sucking noise initially at the HP port, followed by no leaks after multiple tests. The tech found no problems. On bringing the reg home, I hooked it up again, heard a short leak which resolved. On retest, I have found that a consistent unresolved leak occurs about 4 out of every 5 times I pressurize the reg; the balance of the time, there is either a short sound or a couple second long leak which resolves completly. The only other detail I have noticed is that the black gasket encircling the first stage has become concave (it was flat before). I am a bit mystified as to what might be going on here, wondering whether anyone here might have any ideas?

Thanks!

replace the hose O-ring on the HP hose, or the entire hose. Problem solved. This should have been part of your service btw, the parts kits come with new O-rings for all blanking plugs which means every plug o-ring gets replaced, and every hose o-ring gets replaced. Find a new service center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom