Atomic B1 or B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsems00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have recently returned to diving after a 30 year absence. I have been looking to buy a new reg. I had pretty much made up my mind on a Atomic B2 until the salesman at my LDS told me that he just took in on trade a Atomic B1. He said that they are nearly identicle. Is this true or is there a bigger difference ? Would these be good choices for a first reg. ? Also as far as a BC goes I have the chance to buy either a Zeagle Nightrunner, which I have been told is the same as the current Ranger model, or a Zeagle Tech. They both have only been used on 4 dives. I can have my choice for the same price. Which would be a better choice?

If you go with the B1, make sure it has been upgraded with the new generation 1st-stage piston (I think it was called the jet seat piston) the older Atomics had issues with defective/leaky pistons and Atomic eventually came out with a 'fix'.) I upgraded mine years ago and if memory serves the parts will run about $ 100 - $ 150, plus labor, but as you should service any used reg anyway, the labor to install the 'kit' will be free if you do it at the same time as the 'annual service'. That being said, if you do both an annual service and buy the piston 'kit', the grand total may run you about $ 250 - $ 300 above and beyond the purchase price of the B1.

I have upgraded several B1s into B2s.

Look at the B1 first stage. If the rubber cap on top is a well a cap then it was upgraded to the newer jet seat piston. If the rubber cap looks like a dough nut then it is the first generation piston. As said above some had issues, ip creep. If it was upgrade then the B1 first stage is a now a B2 first stage. This upgrade runs $75 or so.

As for the second stage, very little functionally has changed between the B1 and B2. One can easily buy a color kit for $30 which will include a new purge cover, wide exhaust port, and adjustment knob. At that point if it was recently serviced the B1 second stage is now a B2 second stage with the only exception being that the B2 now comes with the swivel hose which no having it is no big deal for most.

A used B2 should not run more than $300 - regardless of whether it was an overhauled updated B1 that is now B2 or an original B2.

Note - if an old style piston, Atomic is no longer selling the service kits for them. So while the piston may be okay the HP seats are only for the new piston. That said some shops still have the old kits available.

As for the Zeagle BCD - I dove a Ranger for many years. I do not remember the NightRunner. But I would shy away from the Tech - too much stuff on it that you will not use. Including a huge bladder (65lbs of lift is way more than you will need).

I've never heard of a Zeagle Nightrunner BC, and as noted above, a 65 lbs lift capacity bladder is something you don't need. My 1st BC was a Zeagle Ranger (I still have it in my reserve fleet of gear) and it's a perfectly reasonable/usable BC, assuming the BC is your size and fits properly, that will be a perfectly adequate choice......if possible have the dealer order/add the low cost Zeagle 'crotch-strap' to the unit, I have found that it makes an enormous difference in the stability of the BC.

From what I understand the Niterunner is identicle to the Ranger in function and feztures. Zeagle just added some reflective strips and called it the Niterunner.

From what I understand the Niterunner is identicle to the Ranger in function and features. Zeagle just added some reflective strips and called it the Niterunner.

Back
Top Bottom