Atomic Aquatics U.S. ARC Technology Mask ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Atomic Aquatics U.S. ARC Technology Mask , anyone use this mask yet?

Atomic makes a great line of gear, and I'm really looking into this mask.

Before I drop $150.00 + shippimng on this mask, I want to see if anyone has any reviews on it.

I use the Scubapro ( frame-less) in all black right now, and love the mask.

I never get leaks, never

So i'd like some feedback if you had or tried it on, thanks!

Plently of folks are using the Frameless and the SubFrame a search will give lots of hits. Not heard of anyone with ARC lenses (I have Rx lens). That said my regular Rx lenses have an anti reflective coating which does make a difference for indoor lighting. Not sure what it would do underwater. Might talk with an optometrist.

Thanks, I tried it on today, and loved the fit and the feel, the skirt on the mask is very soft and confortable.

I ended up buying it today, and will try it out in 2 weeks.

One thing that concerns me, I was in the store today, and the owner dove the same mask, and had a fogging problem.

He's calling Atomic Monday, and going to call me, hopfully I don't have the same problem, but the mask is really nice, I can't wait to dive it!

I have the regular frameless, before the ARC came out. I don't have fogging problems. Where are you that it costs $150 plus shipping? I bought my pre-ARC framelss for $60 on sale at my LDS, I can't believe that the ARC added that much to the price, since it was normally $85 or so.
gomi_

gomi_otaku:
I have the regular frameless, before the ARC came out. I don't have fogging problems. Where are you that it costs $150 plus shipping? I bought my pre-ARC framelss for $60 on sale at my LDS, I can't believe that the ARC added that much to the price, since it was normally $85 or so.
gomi_

They dont make ARC framless.

I bought it today from an Atomic dealer for $159.99 + tax

This mask just came out a month or so ago

It is a sub-frame mask, not a framless

Your comparing apples to oranges

The ARC is has glass lens , not plastic, and the cheapest I could find it online was $150 plus shipping, do a search, if you can find it cheaper then $150 bucks, consider it a bargin

I have the subframe mask and it works well. Mine leaks a little even though it feels like it fits my face properly. I may have had it tightened too much, I'm still working with it before I make a final judgement. Regarding the delux glass, I haven't notice a big change or improvement over my other masks. If it's better, it's minimal in my opinion, but I'm always open to improved performance where ever I can get it. My mask cost $100 at my local dive shop. AA doesn't do Internet sales.
Regarding your specific question about the ARC glass, I called AA before I made my purchase and was told by customer service that they recommend the more expensive ARC mask only for use during night and very limited visibility dives. Hearing that I went ahead and got the standard Subframe model. It's a very low volume mask. I like the frameless model but it didn't fit my face.
I'm going to continue to use the Subframe and hopefully will remedy the slight leaking problem. I had a bit of fogging after cleaning it, but after an additional cleaning effort it seems to be OK. From what I've heard it's a very popular mask. The frameless model seems to provide a slightly smaller fit.
I'm curious about the new Liquid Skin Mares mask. Has anyone tried it ?
Rex

Hey Rex, thanks for your post, it was very informative.

Sounds like they add a extra $50 for the ARC coating.

I use the scuba-pro frameless right now, and love it.

I'll follow up on my first dive with the Atomic mask, and hopfully I have no leaking or fogging.

Anti reflective coatings reduce the reflection from every change in medium, like air/glass/air, in glasses and water/glass/air, for masks ... there can be as much as 5% light not reaching your eyes for every change of medium on ether side of glass ( as much as 10% less in above examples) .. and if you add in the optically clear glass compared to other masks, even more difference .. does that make enough difference for you to be able to tell underwater ?.. I don't know .. I can easily tell the difference in my glasses though, much brighter image

D_B:
Anti reflective coatings reduce the reflection from every change in medium, like air/glass/air, in glasses and water/glass/air, for masks ... there can be as much as 5% light not reaching your eyes for every change of medium on ether side of glass ( as much as 10% less in above examples) .. and if you add in the optically clear glass compared to other masks, even more difference .. does that make enough difference for you to be able to tell underwater ?.. I don't know .. I can easily tell the difference in my glasses though, much brighter image

Thanks, I'm hoping it helps, $160 bucks sure is alot of money just for a mask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom