Atomic Aquatics U.S. ARC Technology Mask ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes.

Atomic SubFrame ARC

You shouldn't have any trouble finding one at your LDS or even on the internet, although Atomic doesn't do internet sales per se.

The SubFrame ARC is my primary mask, and I have a non-ARC SubFrame as my backup. Both are outfitted with bi-focal prescription lenses from Prescription Dive Masks.

I use them interchangably and, frankly, haven't noticed a whole lot of difference between the two. Having said that, the SubFrame is by far the best mask I've ever used. My wife had problems finding a mask that didn't leak until I got her a SubFrame for her birthday. She's also very happy with it.

Regarding fogging issues, I recommend that you scrub the hell out of it with toothpaste when you bring it home, then use plenty of defogger when diving. That works for us. Fogging becomes less of an issue over time.

Also, be sure to not overtighten the straps or you may have problems with leaking. If you're having leaks, try loosening the straps first to see if that works first, then tighten if it doesn't.

Of course, by far the most important thing when it comes to any mask is fit. This mask comes in a standard size, which I use, and a narrow size, which my wife uses, so be sure to check out both sizes if you're having fit problems.

I have been trying to resolve a fogging issue With my new sub frame I did the tooth paste thing with not much luck so far going to try something I did with my old scuba pro quad vision put on a good amount of anti fog and let it almost dry on the lens then wipe off excess.

I have almost exclusively used the ARC Subframe for the past two years, and a normal Subframe for a year prior to that... Absolutely love them... Not sure if there is a whole lot of difference on good vis dives, but I notice a slight difference in low light and bad vis dives between the ARC and a normal Subframe...

As far as fogging - there are a couple things I've always done with the Atomics when new - scrub with toothpaste, twice... go dive, scrub again, and for the first couple days scrub it more... After that, I just practice good mask etiquette - keep it nice and cool - not laying in the sun, and then, pretty much just spit, rub, rinse before each dive, like literally seconds before descending, and I NEVER have a fogging problem...

ARC looks an exaggerated selling point. One will hardly see ARC benefits except for a very rare circumstances (low-light low-contrast env-t). The mask is OK though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom