Atomic and Water Temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm still debating between the Atomic B-1, Ti-2, and the Mares Abyss. How cold can I dive with the Atomic before I have to worry about getting it sealed?
Tavi

Hi Tavi,

I don't pretend to be an expert on Atomics, but I have rented them before. The coldest water I've used them in has been the high 40s/low 50s, with no problems. Of course, some folks would rate this as semi-tropical.

No experience with the Mares Abyss.

Anyway, you can have these "sealed". You may want to search for another Atomic thread on this board -- there is a comment from Green Manelishi, who does most of his diving in Maine, New Hampshire and northern MA in the US -- he dives year round, including ice diving.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks large_diver
I found the thread you mentioned. It helped a lot.
Tavi

Tavi,

I've been told that any temp under 50 deg f. Could lead to possible freezing.

ID

Greetings Tavi.

I use Atomics year round in water temp ranging from low/mid
30s and higher with air temps in mid20s or higher (including
some nice windy days)

No problems EXCEPT in fresh water ice dives. Once when the reg WAS sealed the other time with an UN-sealed reg when I surfaced during the ice dive as a result of a frozen and inflating inflator on my wing. During the time on the surface thawing and dis-connecting the wing inflator the
reg started to free flow and had to be thawed with warm
water. The second descent was ended as result of complete
failure of reg at depth of 12 or so (exhaled, attempted to
inhale and 'got' zilch. Rather a unique experience if i say
so myself). Re-surfaced to thaw it again for a 3rd descent and did a short dive with only a slight first stage free
flow.

FWIW several other divers had free-flows that day with
several brand regs INCLUDING diaphragm firsts.

Unless you are going to dive in dirty water or fresh water
i'd not be TOO concerned about sealing. But that is MY opinion.

I do plan on diving Fresh water (near home) and Salt water (on vacations), and I don't know what is considered Dirty Water. I plan on checking out Lake Erie this summer and maybe the St Lawrence Seaway after I get more training.Ice diving is not in my plans, but I know how plans change.
Thanks for the Information.
Tavi

Tavi,
All three regs you mentioned are excellent choices. I dive with the Mares V-16 first stage and the Abyss second. This works for me. I haven't had any problems with my regs, they deliever air the same at 130' as they do at 20' I dive pratically every weekend and so far they've been very reliable. All of my diving is in Florida and the Carribean so you need to find out how each regulator performs in cold water since you live in Boston and will be diving cold water. I can't help you on that one. I use the seacure mouthpiece and like it, don't have to hold it in my mouth. It just sits there, no bother or fuss.
Bob

Thanks Bob, and I live in Rochester N.Y. not Boston. Probably close to the same water temps though.
Tavi

Sorry Tavi, must have confused you with someone else. Any way way you cut it, you'll be diving in cold water! Good luck on finding a reg set up that you'll be happy with.
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom