Atom 2 stuck in Gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2fishfork

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read the manual and the addendum and have tried everything it says to do to change back to normal mode without any luck. It also says that if you dive in Gauge mode you have to wait 24 hours and it will revert back. There has to be another way! I'm diving every day for the next week, you mean to tell me that I can't change it back? Can I remove the battery?

If you do a dive in gauge mode and then you pull the battery to get it out of gauge mode before the 24 hour time, and then start diving in "computer mode", you are now diving with an initial nitrogen load that the computer's nitrogen loading algorithm doesn't know about.
Seems like a bad thing to do.

--- bill

I have read the manual and the addendum and have tried everything it says to do to change back to normal mode without any luck. It also says that if you dive in Gauge mode you have to wait 24 hours and it will revert back. There has to be another way! I'm diving every day for the next week, you mean to tell me that I can't change it back? Can I remove the battery?

I'm not sure if I follow you.

By tomorrow, it will be back to normal. What's the problem?

Terry

I would also change batteries. On my computer I have had to take a paper clip and where your battery compartment is short the battery leads together for five seconds to reset it. Sounds weird I know but on my Aeris computer a couple years ago the manufacture told me to do this and it worked.

This isn't a defect, it's to keep you out the the chamber.

While it's in gauge mode it isn't calculating your nitrogen loading, which means that it needs to wait 24 hours for you to off-gas before it knows how to model your nitrogen loading.

While you may (or may not) be able to fool it into switching back to "computer mode." before the 24 hours is up, this is a really bad idea and may get you bent or worse.

Terry

I appreciate all of your concern over my going to the chamber. Yes the computer won't know my nitrogen loading, but I will! Why does everyone assume I won't?

The problem is that my last dive of the day ended around noon, and my first dive in the morning will be at 8:30. 24 hours will not have elapsed, and if I use my computer the 24 hour clock starts over again. The problem will continue until the end of my trip. Only thing I can do is dive without my computer tomorrow and then use it the next day - hmmm guess I can't do that because my computer won't know what my nitrogen loading is.

I understand why it's there, and I'm sure that there are some people out there that would get themselves into trouble, but there are also people that do know what they are doing. I think this is more about protecting the manufacturer from liability and is a PITA for the rest of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom