Atmos Mission One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completely disagree. We'll have multiple options with all those features in the next 1-2 years. And with competition, it'll be a $500-700 computer, including transmitter.

I was really close to pulling the trigger on a D5i during the holidays when the discount was great. Then I read a lot of reviews about the battery life being really limited.

How would you assess the display under water, and in direct light? Does it have a decent battery?
Faced the same situation when D5 was newly released with promo, I was hesitant due the price (even after the promo). Plus, I dont really need the transmitter.... even if i do, i would prefer Teric / MK. lol

Backlight display - the mission one has 3 settings (Low, Med, High) backlight settings. Default is Medium, great display at depth past 2~3m but lacks in direct sunlight/bright day, have to tilt the watch a little.... definitely no issues with night dives, awesome with the colors.

Battery - single charge lasted well through my trip of 3 days (5 to 7 dives), wore it as a watch when i'm not diving. Pretty sure it could last longer, ymmv.

I completely disagree. We'll have multiple options with all those features in the next 1-2 years. And with competition, it'll be a $500-700 computer, including transmitter.
I do hope such options would be available, competitions are definitely good for us consumers and indirectly better for the brands to improve/evolve themselves.

I saw this too. Pictures online can be misleading but the display looks promising for a more affordable computer. I really like the Teric display but my wallet hates it. I hope they come out with an air integrated version of the watch.

I will post you some side by side Teric/Atmos Pictures this weekend. I won't have a chance to dive the Atmos for a couple weeks.

In terms of all the features, Software wise, you are correct, they can put ALOT on the devices. I believe this is more, marketing and pricing and need. I was told by a developer once that the Atomic Cobalt 2 could do Trimix, they just did not do it, as it was marketed for Recreational.

Now in terms of hardware, they can put everything you want into the device, it would just be the size of a Petral. A Garmin Rep, told me they had a choice, GPS or AI. They could not do both, as it would have the device much larger. Maybe in 5 years they can change that.

My guess is that Dive Computers use old Tech, that like the military is not breaking edge but far more reliable. Sadly this increases the size of the Tech.

I will post you some side by side Teric/Atmos Pictures this weekend. I won't have a chance to dive the Atmos for a couple weeks.

In terms of all the features, Software wise, you are correct, they can put ALOT on the devices. I believe this is more, marketing and pricing and need. I was told by a developer once that the Atomic Cobalt 2 could do Trimix, they just did not do it, as it was marketed for Recreational.

Now in terms of hardware, they can put everything you want into the device, it would just be the size of a Petral. A Garmin Rep, told me they had a choice, GPS or AI. They could not do both, as it would have the device much larger. Maybe in 5 years they can change that.

My guess is that Dive Computers use old Tech, that like the military is not breaking edge but far more reliable. Sadly this increases the size of the Tech.

Warm Weather on Sunday, I may try to get the DC in the pool for you all.

I went ahead and ordered one. I had enough cash back on my visa so it didn't cost me anything....at least that is the way i look at it and how I present it to my wife.

I plan to put a few dives on it this Saturday along with the Excursion.

I went ahead and ordered one. I had enough cash back on my visa so it didn't cost me anything....at least that is the way i look at it and how I present it to my wife.

I plan to put a few dives on it this Saturday along with the Excursion.
Look forward to your comments

Thanks in advance for any reviews.

My comments mainly stem from the fact that the Teric pretty much has anything I will ever need in a watch. Plus it has a great display, AI, good battery life etc. The technology exists, it's just expensive because there isn't a lot of competition for them. I looked at the holiday deals on the D5 and thought it was a contender but thought the battery life killed the joy. for me at least. Unfortunately, Shearwater has their priced locked down at the retailers.

The technology for dive computers is just catching up but it'll get there soon. As someone who is in the market for a wrist computer, I see vendors everywhere trying to move their old stock of non color, non AI, non wireless syncing devices at deep discounts. There's a reason for this. The next wave of devices will have all those features standard. They just need to get rid of inventory otherwise, no one will buy their old stock. Based on the sales I see, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a handful of contenders by the holiday season this year.

So I have been playing around with the Atmos.

(IMO) The biggest issue It isnt near as bright as any of the pictures or videos. Nor is the color range as good as I had hoped. If you have ever seen a D5, even though that one isn't as bright as some, it is brighter that the Atmos...and more vivid.

It's not bad, but I would like to see a greater range of user adjustable brightness and deeper and more vivid colors.

The tilt to turn on backlight seems random. I was driving last night and it turned on 10ish times with my hand in the same position. Yet when I bring it from my waist to view it works 50% of the time. Maybe I haven't figure out its secret handshake.. but the cheaper excursion works every time I tilt my wrist unless it is a sharp and fast movement.

The smart portion is..... interesting... it picks up my office email from O365 and my personal from another account. Sometimes it sends the emails correctly while other times it is missing or adding letters and punctuation. It's like i have my very own non native English speaker living in my watch and trying to quickly write out my emails and send them to me.

My wife sent me a text this morning and i guess it was too long??? It only stated "Edge Screen, Edge Lighting". Too bad it was a nice text.

It also randomly disconnects very often from my phone and my phone let's me know every damn time. (maybe an Android Issue) Yesterday it was like an alarm set to go off randomly every 4 to 10 minutes.

GPS seems to work fairly well even inside my home. It shows what seems like a few close random dive spots and a few a couple hundred miles away. I would like to know how it finds these spots.

The compass works well but I haven't been able to get to use the full compass screen. It wants me to calibrate in a figure 8. I have tried every 8 under the sun and it still wont say that it is calibrated. I have calibrated many phones and smart watches in the past but this thing eludes me.Though in scuba mode it holds mark fine and after you set it once it is a single press to mark a new location.

All the below photos are on Brightness high for the Atmos and setting 1 (out of 5) for the Excursion.

View media item 209413

Wow thanks for the update.

Atmos User Log

-DAY 1 -Hour 22-

I am now convinced there is a Taiwanese man working for Atmos who attempts to manually transcribe my messages from my phone to my watch. Unfortunately his English is not up to the task.

He often must be irritated as he forces a disconnect of the watch from my phone and wont reconnect unless I complete the pairing process again. Maybe it was more messages to transfer over than his hourly rate or maybe the English language with homonym/homophone/homograph usage simply frustrate him. Or maybe he has been forced to work too many hours and/or maybe he just despises Android users.....

He seems to get enjoyment by having the watch constantly buzz me with nothing of value and no rhyme or reason why. Maybe this is one of his ways to show displeasure in his working environment just as he often refuses to turn on the back light when tilted.

I can see him laughing at me as I try repeated attempts to calibrate the compass as the calibration screen never changes. Apparently they designed it so that you cant tell if it ever really needs or finishes calibration....:letsparty:

Back
Top Bottom