At what water temp can I start diving wet in a 7mm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most divers in Jersey are drysuits but I still dive wet. Once it hits 52 or 53 I'm good for two or three dives

Besides the individual differences mentioned, the answer also depends on air temp and whether you're boat or shore diving.

It would be all boat diving and I can get the cabin quite warm in a short time.

dude,i would so be in if i were you!!!!!
if you don't need a chainsaw to get in, seasons open!!!!!!
i teach ice diving up here,and almost all participants dive wet
(oh,yeah...even the girls)
2 pc, socks w/boots,good hoods,better gloves...very doable!!!!
you got a heated cabin to dress out and interval in-you're all world!!!!!!:D
my old pal tony is damn near 60 and he toughed it out on some deep drifts with us this winter. never whined once!
5* air and 34* water temps...

(then he stole a drysuit offa e-bay)

check my photos!!!!
have fun
yaeg

we had our checkout dives last year april 30th and may 1st
all shore dives in Lake Ontario with air temperature of around 59F but sunny and windy and water temperature of 35F
we lasted anywhere from 30-40 minutes
i had a 2 piece 7mm suit like this one and i was fine, i actually stayed in it between dives, that's how comfy and warm it was, better than taking it off and putting it on wet and cold few hours later

Attachments

• 2005-7mm-x2-jacket-tp_4847126924881528875b.jpg
    2005-7mm-x2-jacket-tp_4847126924881528875b.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 295
For what it's worth, here's my experience from last month in Okanagan Lake, BC..

In 37 degree water (that's 5 degrees on the Canadian scale), I dove wet.... wore a hooded 8mil wetsuit, with 8mil boots, which was all fine, but....
I was apprehensive about wearing the 8mil lobster claw gloves, because I wanted to maintain as much dexterity as possible; therefore, I opted for the 5mil full-finger gloves. Sheldon warned me about the cold, but I explained how I'm used to working outside in the -40 northern climate. Well...

...at the end of the 28 minute dive, I had one more skill to do... remove & replace BCD at the surface. He asked me if I was too cold to do it and I replied that I was cold, but willing to try it. I had lost so much feeling in my hands that it took both hands and about 3 minutes just to grip and pull my Velcro cummerbund open. Got it off and back on, but could only half-assed get the velcro done back up... and there was no way the fastek clips were going to get done up. It wasn't perfect, but it was workable, so we considered it good enough. In the end, it took about 36 hours for most of the feeling to come back into my 2 left fingertips...and they're still only about 98% recovered.

Hope this info helps :)

A common number is 50F with 7mm that includes 2X on the core. More here on pushing the envelope.

Pete

Of course, it varies from person to person and you must experiment. Me-- I've done 15-20 minute dives at 33F. At about 38 or below I use the 3 fingered mits. I start to get comfortable with 30 min. dives at a little over 40. High 40s and above means I don't think about cold shortening my time. Oh, yes, having a warm place/house to go to between dives on a winter day or not having to pee between dives thus keeping the wetsuit on are obvious plusses.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom