At what water temp can I start diving wet in a 7mm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should also look into a good hood or hooded vest as about 80-90% of your body heat is lost through your head. Another factor would be what you are doing during a dive. If you are working you will stay warmer then if you are just slowly swimming around.

The "80-90% heat loss through your head" is a myth, but the hood recommendation is valid regardless. I can't imagine diving even in 70* water without a hood. My junky 7mm fullsuit is only good to high 50's, I've been in water down to 38* with it, but I didn't enjoy being there and didn't last very long.

Up until last yeat I wore a 7mm wetsuit throughout the winter (and Lake Ontario gets pretty cold in winter). I was able to do around 30-40 minutes without getting too cold (uncomfortable but not hypothermic). I made the decision to get a drysuit when I realized that if something went wrong on the dive and I wasn't able to get out of the water when scheduled...OOA that resulted in a long surface swim or assisiting my buddy if they were in trouble, cramping etc., then I would be in real trouble.

So, yes I was fine diving wet all winter as long as everything went according to plan but I realized that 15 extra minutes in the water might be the difference between a safe dive and a tragedy.

Bob (Toronto)

WOW - what was the temperature? Sounds a lot colder than what I was talking about. When I was writing about 7mm wetsuits for 2 dives, I was talking about 48 degrees Fahrenheit (8.89 Celsius). At the end of the second dive I even choose to do a long surface swim looking at the scenery and waving back at the seals! :)

I dove wet in Puget Sound my whole first year of diving. I was fine to 45 degrees with heavy hood, thick gloves and a double suit ( I think it was 12-14 ml at the core). That said, I was always looking longingly at the drysuit divers. Getting out of the water dry is so nice when it's chilly and raining!
I now have a drysuit but I would do those same dives again wet, if that's all I had.
(wishing I lived there again!)
I love cold water diving, west Coast, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom