At what point did you decide to buy your own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up my first tank when I found a reg for sale. Last tanks I got have history , found 2 L P 120 , a L P 95 . They were destined to be put out in the field and shot with a rifle to see if they would explode, Talked the guy out of them for $50 for all three. The 120's were brand new, one of his tenants left them behind

At many dive locations you can just rent tanks for the day. Breakwater at Monterey is an example.

What you probably can't rent is a tank for Nitrox. If you want to dive Nitrox then you will very likely have to buy your own tanks. Then too, you can't get clean (Nitrox grade) air at Breakwater either. So, you have to bring enough tanks so you don't have to refill or you have to cart them a few blocks (and lose your parking place) to get them filled.

So, I have 6 HP 100s for the 3 adults and 5 Al 50s for the grandson plus a steel 72. Right now the 50s and the 72 are seeing some serious swimming pool duty. I really like the 72. I intend to buy some more.

The son-in-law and my wife are taking a couple of specialties in Tahoe in the near future. We still wind up renting 4 tanks so we can come up with enough for the 12 dives (total), 6 of which will be Al 80s with air.. Otherwise, we have to fill with dirty (not Nitrox grade) air and I don't want to have to reclean my Nitrox tanks.

We really need another 6 HP 100s - about $2100 ought to cover it. Or maybe 4 more Al 80s for about $600. We'll see.

Richard

I got my first AL80 when a neighbor left it in his driveway with a "Free" sign on it after it didn't sell at a garage sale (I wish I would have just grabbed all the dive gear but I only took the tank) and I bought my other two when my LDS went out of business.
I probably would not have bought new ones then but now that know how convenient it is to have them I would recommend it. Like it's already been said if you're patient you can wait for a deal.

when you get the cash and realise your spending 5 a dive extra on rentals. here is the math
AL80- 150$
first year 30 dives your even then it breaks down even cheaper with time on that tank since vip is 10 a year and hydro is 35 every 5 years.
this year i have probably had about 15 dives and that was with not having gear for a little while (mine got stolen) and taking time off to Get my OW certification, and in 2 weeks im going to have about 10 dives in one week. For me aslong as i have the cash available an al80 will pay for itself easily within a year

After you buy everything else. Why? because tanks are consistent. As long
as you rent the same size and type of tank, it's got the same buoyancy.

Me, I bought two AL80s when I bought the rest of my gear. They are long
gone and we now have seven 3500 PSI HP100s, and two 3500 PSI HP80s.

I will shortly have two just hydroed AL80s for sale for a deceased
friend. I just have to figure out how much to charge.

One more thing: 100 dives * $6 is $600 which last I looked would buy a
couple of AL80s. Also, you need to go to the shop less. If you own, you
visit the shop once per dive day. If you rent, once per dive day plus once
more per rental to return them.

But also figure in the cost of annual VIP and every five years hydro. If
you dive as much as I do, that's pennies per dive.

Another consideration for owning your own tanks aside of your buddy calling you at 8:00 PM the night before and wanting to go out the next morning, and that is that even if you rent tanks and get out there the next day and find the conditions to be undiveable, you still pay for the rental of the tanks.
Where I dive we drive for a hour or more to get to our dive sites, and there are no rental facilities close by. The conditions can change overnight and I have been faced with this exact scenario.

We found a deal on some steel 95's and picked them up for the convenience of having our own tanks always handy. The money wasn't the primary issue. For us, having full tanks always on hand in case we want to do a spur-of-the-moment dive was the deciding factor. We just bought a second set, some new LP 108's, from our preferred LDS here in Washington, because they were on special and we have often found that we would like to do two dives without having to go find a shop to get a fill from. I'm currently grounded because of a badly torn Achilles' tendon, but I hope to try the new tank out someday :depressed:

I have two AL80's I bought shortly after getting certified. As mentioned above, no hassle, waiting, renting. One I got on craigslist with new hydro and vis for $50 and the other on sale at Sport Chalet for $110 new. I couldn't pass that up. Air cards allow for $3 fills in my area. Over here in Bodega Bay there is only one dive shop that does fills and it's too late in the morning so you have to fill tanks the day before.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom