At what point did you decide to buy your own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to chime on what others have stated, I purchased my 1st tank when there was a yearly sale at my LDS. My reasoning was that my LDS only rents out AL80's, and I'm not too fond of the buoyancy characteristics of that type of tank. Granted, there is another LDS in the area that I could rent steel 80's (not sure if it's HP or LP), but I didn't want to run the risk of having them running out of steel. Also, I wanted to do some classes that would "require" me to have larger tank than 80's (deep & wreck). As others have said, when you own your own tanks, you can dial in your weight for that tank and not have to worry about reconfiguring later. Now, I'm waiting for the next sale to get my 2nd tank.

I forgot to mention that the dive club associated with my LDS gives us a choice for vouchers to use at the LDS: a regular air fill card, nitrox fill card (or a equipment rental voucher) in exchange for our yearly membership dues. The face value of either refill cards are worth more than our membership fee so it's like a double discount to recoup the cost of the tank.

Last edited:
Convenience factor for sure..and as others have stated no playing around with bouyancy! Nitox is another reason..a DIN reg another? Having a HP and 100cf of gas in a smaller package that an Al80 no to mention less lead on the belt is yet another.

I love my PST 100's-my buddy dives the same tank as well, and we are fairly equal consumption wise, so it works out well.We usually get a bite and a beer at the Bulldog and BR is right across the street..no need for another stop and you are good to go for the next trip!

I got them on sale for 219.00 afew years back and they have paid for themselves easily in many ways!

Drew

I bought my tanks when I found out I would be going somewhere there might be a limited amount of tanks.

I decided to buy my own tanks the moment I started doing a lot of last minute dives. I got tired of friends calling me on friday night to see if I wanted to go diving on saturday, only to say I don't have tanks and the LDS does not open until 11:00 am.

My LDS charges the same $ for a rental as they do for fills, so the plus was mostly my ability to dive when I wanted vs hoping that they had tanks available that weekend.

I bought my own tanks right after I bought my gear. I had been watching Craigslist for awhile and i found a really good deal. It works out good for me i fill my tanks at the fire station so its free but either way i like having my own so i can pick up and go diving on a moments notice without having to go to the dive shop.

How do you get to fill your tank up for free at the fire station???

When a friend offered me a deal I couldn't pass up. :D

I bought my own tanks when my free tank rental and free air ran out at my LDS :)

Back
Top Bottom