At what point did you decide to buy your own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwest

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Lately I've been able to dive a lot more than usual and am seriously considering buying my own tanks. Without making my head explode from math :confused: I figure it to only be about a $6.00 difference (or savings) per tank between renting and just getting a fill. This is quite a few dives until it starts to pay off. I still haven't logged 100 dives, so it's hard to think out this far in terms of saving money. Not having to wait until 9:00am on a weekday to get a rental has it's worth too though.

Any thoughts?

(((kevin)))

I got my tanks a few months after I bought the rest of my gear.

For the "occasional diver" - egad, well they just don't know better:shakehead: - renting tanks may be an ok plan. For the serious single tank diver, Worthington steel 100s are the way to go, enjoy the benefits of nitrox (get the cert) in a tank smaller than an AL80, max bottom time, take 4lbs off the weight belt/integrated weights. No worrying "will the shop be closed before I can get there to rent my tanks." If you haven't figured it out yet, diving is an obsession, just get direct deposit to your LDS or online dealer:D

I bought my own tanks right after I bought my gear. I had been watching Craigslist for awhile and i found a really good deal. It works out good for me i fill my tanks at the fire station so its free but either way i like having my own so i can pick up and go diving on a moments notice without having to go to the dive shop.

About the time I decided to start DM training. Just so convenient to call someone up (or grab one of my kids) and head for the lake without having to go rent tanks. And nice to not have to stop there the day of the dive to drop them off.

when i decided to go into cave diving. i just needed a set of doubles, and renting was way too much of a hassle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom