“Assembly fee” after vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still waiting to hear what that charge normally charges for a VIP and a fill... Also, what did they fill the tanks with? Was it air or Nitrox?

@rhwestfall yeah, I’m just confused as I’ve gotten a few certs from them, and was very satisfied with my instuctor. I haven’t really purchased gear from them, as the price hasn’t been competitive enough. It seems like they do a decent amount of classes, and sell an ok amount of mask/snorkel/fin packages. To nickel and dime a repeat customer has me scratching my head

Not defending the shop but it sounds like they already have a good read on you and know you never have any real intention to spend serious gear $ there anyway, so they might as well squeeze you more than they otherwise would.

Not defending the shop but it sounds like they already have a good read on you and know you never have any real intention to spend serious gear $ there anyway, so they might as well squeeze you more than they otherwise would.

Really?? Or they could price match (or be competitive), and try to win his business...

I’d say your pretty justified in being annoyed. I just purchased the HP 133s from liesure pro and doubles them up. A Vis is something you can do on your own with a light, the DOT does not regulate who does it. Stickers are readily available, or you can make your own. Just actually vis your tanks every year, it’s tempting to just slap stickers on with doubles. But if you do partial pressure blends you’ll want to o2 clean the anyways, something you can also do at home.

Really?? Or they could price match (or be competitive), and try to win his business...

His dive shop has already elected to not do that, they would rather make $ on those things you can't just buy on Amazon, like air fills, gear inspections, gear assembly.

Still waiting to hear what that charge normally charges for a VIP and a fill... Also, what did they fill the tanks with? Was it air or Nitrox?

Stuart, they charge $18 for a VIP and fill. So in my case, they charged $25 per for what is effectively a vis and install of a dip tube and added the cost of a HP fill of $13 pe on top. No o2 cleaning or anything like that. Fill was with air, as I’m relatively a relatively new diver and don’t have EaNx yet. That will change after the holidays, I’m sure.

It takes 30 seconds to screw in a dip tube (that’s been generous) if they charged $10 fo that, the simple math is that they are charging $1200 a hour for labor. I deffinitly think they are overpriced.

Stuart, they charge $18 for a VIP and fill. So in my case, they charged $25 per for what is effectively a vis and install of a dip tube and added the cost of a HP fill of $13 pe on top. No o2 cleaning or anything like that. Fill was with air, as I’m relatively a relatively new diver and don’t have EaNx yet. That will change after the holidays, I’m sure.

Ah. In that case, they definitely screwed you (though my math says $20 per tank?). It was less work for them than when "you bring it in next year". Hopefully, you won't be going back next year

TLDR: Has anyone ever been charged a fee for assembling a tank (single, no bands or manifold)? What does a visual inspection fill normally run y’all? Did my LDS give me the finger for not purchasing my tanks through them?

Ok, so I finally took the plunge and bought myself a pair of shiny new (well shiny and mottled :p) HP120s. I bought through LP as it was around $300 less than what my LDS quoted me. The tanks obviously needed to be vised since they shipped straight from Blue Steel/Faber, so I went to my LDS to get them vised and filled. I was expecting $12-$15 a pop for a vis and fill, but when I picked them up today, I found out that they charged $76 for both. On the receipt they rang up the service as assembly on 2 tanks for $25 each and $13 each to get filled. I’m not upset to pay 50 something more than a vis, especially since they were able to do it the next day after dropping it off, and I understand they need to pay their own bills. In my mind, I could have better used the money on a decent dinner or a couple of fills. I probably am complaining invalidly, but perhaps I should get in the business of screwing on valves. $50 per hour for screwing on threads doesn’t sound too bad!

FWIW, they said I wouldn’t have to pay that much next year, as they wouldn’t have to “set up the tank” on next year’s vis. I’m pretty sure they were salty I didn’t buy from them, but it doesn’t sound like they are trying to keep my business, even if they are the only shop in an hour area away from me.

Bro...

I charge what here in Ontario...is pretty much standard...

Standard tank...3AL or Steel...Annual Visual inspection...inspection sticker....exterior wash...removal of ''ALL'' existing tank stickers...including any sticker gum...re and re plus cleaning of tank boot...new valve ''O'' ring...reassemble...$30...including fill...

O2 Cleaned tanks...3AL or Steel...Annual visual inspection...inspection sticker...exterior wash with ''Crystal Simple Green'' removal of ''ALL'' tank stickers...including any sticker gum...re and re plus cleaning of tank boot...O2 clean...dry...complete dis-assembly of valve...O2 clean...dry...re-kitted with Viton ''O'' rings...O2 compatible lubricant...reassemble...$50...plus fill...plus new MOD/NITROX/OXYGEN/DILUENT stickers...if the valve was not new...I also replace the burst disc...

I handle doubles as two tanks...either standard or O2 cleaned...no extra charge unless threads are damaged on bolt assemblies and have to be replaced...which is often the case...I keep stock lengths of 5/16'' S/S threaded rod and S/S fasteners...and fab new bolt assemblies to customers needs...$20. for two bolt assemblies...with all fasteners...this is as much of a courtesy as it is anything else...and helps make my life easier...I make no money on replacement Doubles tank bolt assemblies...

The above does not include interior power brushing of AL tank bottoms...if needed...nor does it include media tumbling and rust pit checking of steel tanks...if needed...if media tumbling of steel tanks is needed...following removal of water and media material...the tank has to be washed inside...and dried...

It all takes time...everything has to be recorded...everything considered to be an extra is discussed with customer before proceeding...

To those tank service techs thinking that any of the above can be accomplished...in 2/3/4 minutes...not if your following VIP training course protocols...O2 annual servicing of a set of doubles...including drying time...and complete re-assembly is a 3/4 hour process...hopefully you'll have other shop work to keep you occupied during tank drying...if you have no other service work in the shop other than this set of doubles...and your sales have been flat for the day...you're in the hole...

If you'd have bought from Dive Gear Express...your tanks would have arrived...O2 cleaned...valves on...Annual Visual Inspection Stickers on...requiring only fills...

You have to be careful with LP...they sell ''supposedly new'' items which are customer returns...damaged...defective...dirty/dusty...they advertise deep discounted items for which they have no stock and for which manufacturers have discontinued so there will be no stock ...they have absolutely NO tech knowledge...and returning ''less than perfect'' items is a nightmare...their shipping partner ADORAMA...are on another planet...Phil Mendel used to be a lot better than this...buying from LP used to be a pleasure...I don't know what's happened...as they are now...I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole...attached to another 10 ft pole...

Enjoy your new tanks...

Warren

We charge 15 bucks for a vis and fill. Includes new O ring and sticker. That works out to 56.00 an hour since the sticker is 3 bucks and the O ring is a buck. If the tank needs O2 cleaned, tumbled, or whipped that's extra based on the time required but we would not do any of that without getting customer approval first.

It's also why I advise anyone who is buying more than 2 cylinders that sees themselves buying more should invest in a transfill whip. This allows you to put a couple hundred PSI in the tank you just bought that came with a good vis sticker before you take it to be filled. Just because some places are like that.

If you came in with new tanks from anyone with a good hydro and a receipt showing when you got them, I'm not going to screw you by charging for installing the dip tube and screwing in the valve. I can take a quick peek in to make sure there's no bugs or critters in there, screw the valve in, and fill the cylinder. Thereby improving the chances that you will bring me more business.

This is akin to those shops that won't service or charge an extra fee to service brands they sell that you bought online. They are idiots. I get HOG and Edge regs all the time to service that people bought elsewhere. I don't turn anyone down or charge extra. I don't make them feel bad for not getting them from me.

What that has resulted in is numerous sales later when they find out I can meet the price they paid with better service. I got two regs in yesterday that the owner has been having done locally to him. Last time he didn't like something they did.

He was hoping to have these back in time for a trip on January 23rd. I'll have them back in the mail to him on Friday because I'm taking them to the pool to play with after servicing on Thursday.

This is an extra I offer at no charge in addition to the bench and sink testing if the customer is willing to give me the extra couple of days.

If they are ok to go without the pool test, turn around is usually 24-72 hours depending on the season and when I get them. I've only taken a week to turn around a reg once. That was because I needed parts that are normally not replaced so I don't stock them. It took 3 extra days to get those in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom