“Assembly fee” after vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brojas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
TLDR: Has anyone ever been charged a fee for assembling a tank (single, no bands or manifold)? What does a visual inspection fill normally run y’all? Did my LDS give me the finger for not purchasing my tanks through them?

Ok, so I finally took the plunge and bought myself a pair of shiny new (well shiny and mottled :p) HP120s. I bought through LP as it was around $300 less than what my LDS quoted me. The tanks obviously needed to be vised since they shipped straight from Blue Steel/Faber, so I went to my LDS to get them vised and filled. I was expecting $12-$15 a pop for a vis and fill, but when I picked them up today, I found out that they charged $76 for both. On the receipt they rang up the service as assembly on 2 tanks for $25 each and $13 each to get filled. I’m not upset to pay 50 something more than a vis, especially since they were able to do it the next day after dropping it off, and I understand they need to pay their own bills. In my mind, I could have better used the money on a decent dinner or a couple of fills. I probably am complaining invalidly, but perhaps I should get in the business of screwing on valves. $50 per hour for screwing on threads doesn’t sound too bad!

FWIW, they said I wouldn’t have to pay that much next year, as they wouldn’t have to “set up the tank” on next year’s vis. I’m pretty sure they were salty I didn’t buy from them, but it doesn’t sound like they are trying to keep my business, even if they are the only shop in an hour area away from me.

never seen it for singles, only for doubles *which is justified since it legit takes 10+ mins to assemble and adjust them. Sounds like they weren't so happy you didn't buy from them, but at the same time they are not going out of their way to be competitive....

Also did not need a VIP after shipping from the factory or even a distributor....

Did you take them to the shop with the valves and boots off? I usually pay around $20 for a VIP and use a Nitrox fill card for the fill.
Yeah, I didn’t even bother to put the valve on. I figured I was saving them the trouble assuming they wanted to go through the trouble of looking inside the tank. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

South of Atlanta, VIP and Fill would be $18 each. Unless you dropped them off without valves, I can’t imagine what the fee would be for. Even with the valves off, I can’t understand the fee. You saved them the time of removing them!

Care to share the shop name?

Also did not need a VIP after shipping from the factory or even a distributor....
Hmm, good to know. I’m planning on going to the Florida springs next week, and I figured it would be less of a hassle getting fills with a proper sticker on them.

Installing a valve can take as long as 30 seconds. A boot on and off could take a minute more. They have to be paid for their labor

South of Atlanta, VIP and Fill would be $18 each. Unless you dropped them off without valves, I can’t imagine what the fee would be for. Even with the valves off, I can’t understand the fee. You saved them the time of removing them!

Care to share the shop name?
Pm sent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom