Assembling simple, bullet-proof, back-up reg set for remote, rugged diving, how does this sound ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an old Conshelf 14 with Sea Hornet 'Command Air' second stages with Scubapro BAR SPG as my bullet proof remote area spare set up. Had to use it a couple of times, always worked flawlessly.
The Aqualung Titan LX based reg set would also be good, maybe with corresponding unbalanced second stage... rugged and simple.
BTW are you interested in selling your 'old surplus Atomic T2 octo'?
I'm chasing one to make up an affordable second hand Atomic reg set for my nephew...

I'll keep you in mind on the 'octo', but it's the only adjustable spare octo I have on hand that is a brand serviceable by Scubatoys.

I have settled on sealed Atomics as the most simple/reliable, the seat saver helps avoid problems too. The 109/156 BA is an incredible second but I too don’t like them banging around getting dings and scuffs.

I've got a number of Atomics available, but those are among my 'fancy pants' units...excellent units...as are my Apeks and Scubapros.....looking to build some simple 'beater' units to take one for the team when required. :)

I have both pristine and ugly 109/156 seconds. The beaters are the ones I would carry.... They function perfectly, but are the ugly duckling. No way my freshwater babies would go to salt....

I think I got one for $10, and the MK2 was given to me for free....

I have both pristine and ugly 109/156 seconds. The beaters are the ones I would carry.... They function perfectly, but are the ugly duckling. No way my freshwater babies would go to salt....

I think I got one for $10, and the MK2 was given to me for free....

I've got a number of MK 5 and 109/156's serviced and upgraded to BA with new silicone internals/Tee's, and another batch of 'as-is' units awaiting me to have time/$ to send off to vintagedoublehose or 'couv' for overhaul/upgrading, not on my urgent top priority list but on my eventually to do list.

When I travel around and dont know what service centers is avaliable I usualy carry a lot of gear.

On my last trips I have had 4 Poseidon Jetstream second stages and 2 Aqualung Titan LX Supreme seconds.

And 3 first stages, in warm water I have mostly been using my old Aqualung Costeau SEA yoke, and had some old poseidon DIN, a couple of Conshelf XII or SE2 (yoke) and a Titan LX Supreme DIN as spare parts. I also have service kits for the Aqualungs and for my Jetstreams with me.
The combo I use most are the Aqualung Costeau (Conshelf SEA) first, combined with Jetstream seconds. It feels bulleproof.

With a balanced MK5, then just run the second as a 109 (unbalanced). Sweet performing combination, and pennies to maintain.

On reflection though, with the MK 5, the unsealed 1st stage might be an issue in severe conditions....and those versions that can be sealed use a rather primitive (leaky) Christolube oozing containment system.

For far flung locales I use conshelf 14 military seconds and an Apeks FSR I converted to unsealed. Robust, reliable, simple to self service and tune with minimal tools and parts.

FWIW used to use an US4 but ran into occasional transmitter "lost coms" when on the left side so switched to the two HP port FSR which I unsealed just to make servicing a tad easier.

Another Sherwood fan here, since I like metal seconds my seconds could be a 109, an old AL, and even an old Dacor.

For your parameters, I'd use my pony reg, a Sherwood magnum which got its position because it has never failed since i got it in 1980, one rebuild because the dry bleed failed (no change in performance), no other service needed. My new Sherwoods, 2010 Blizzard, seems better, but it dosent have the track record yet.

Bob

Another Sherwood fan here, since I like metal seconds my seconds could be a 109, an old AL, and even an old Dacor.

For your parameters, I'd use my pony reg, a Sherwood magnum which got its position because it has never failed since i got it in 1980, one rebuild because the dry bleed failed (no change in performance), no other service needed. My new Sherwoods, 2010 Blizzard, seems better, but it dosent have the track record yet.

Bob

I've never actually owned/used and Sherwoods before, relied on reviewing many SB posts over the years to look for them on E-Bay and found a couple at low prices and am now taking a chance on them. After annual service I'll do a pool test and hope they perform OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom