Asking for Turneffe dive resort recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turneffe Island Resort is the closest to the Elbow. It's maybe a 5 minute boat ride out to the site.

A good part of the five minutes is sweeping around the island since the dock is on the north side and The Elbow is on the south side. I remember we once saw an American crocodile sunning himself on the beach on our way back from the Elbow. He wasn't very far from our cabana as we were staying in Cabana 8, the furthest one to the south at that time.

we once saw an American crocodile sunning himself on the beach
For a couple of years they had a 5-6 footer croc that would hang out in the mangroves across from the boats. You could splash the water at night and it would swim up to you. They had to relocate it as it got a little too friendly and there was some concern for the dogs.

For those who have been to Turneffe Island Resort, how often can you go dive Half Moon Caye? are you able to request additional trips out there if enough people want to go or for extra $$? Do they have Nitrox?
Has anyone been there around October? I know it's hurricane season, but are conditions decent as long as there is no storm nearby ?

Thanks!

For those who have been to Turneffe Island Resort, how often can you go dive Half Moon Caye? are you able to request additional trips out there if enough people want to go or for extra $$? Do they have Nitrox?
Has anyone been there around October? I know it's hurricane season, but are conditions decent as long as there is no storm nearby ?

Thanks!
If you haven't already, I would just contact them directly. I'm sure
they will be happy to answer all your questions.
Turneffe Island Resort – Private Diving & Fishing Resort – Belize

My wife and I spent 3 weeks at Turneffe Island Resort and had a great time. We had no more than 4 in a dive group and Brad our dive guide was excellent. The diving out at lighthouse atoll after the blue hole was amazing. Food was very good and the staff were superb!
A group of ten of us just returned a few days ago from Turneffe Island Resort. It was terrific in all respects. We brainstormed afterwards, and could only offer the resort three suggestions for improvement....this from a group of divers who'd been all over the world.
Be advised the owner of TIR is building a new, similar resort on Lighthouse Atoll, nearer even better diving. Might be worth waiting for!

If you haven't already, I would just contact them directly. I'm sure
they will be happy to answer all your questions.
Turneffe Island Resort – Private Diving & Fishing Resort – Belize
I have.. just waiting to hear back and I'm impatient :wink:

A group of ten of us just returned a few days ago from Turneffe Island Resort. It was terrific in all respects. We brainstormed afterwards, and could only offer the resort three suggestions for improvement....this from a group of divers who'd been all over the world.
Be advised the owner of TIR is building a new, similar resort on Lighthouse Atoll, nearer even better diving. Might be worth waiting for!

That's interesting...any idea when the new resort is expected to be operational?

When we stayed at TIR, twice but probably around 10 years ago, the Blue Hole/Half Moon Caye trip was done on Tuesdays. All the divers would go so they would take the big boat. The rest of the week was spent diving around the island.

I'm not sure they would do the trip more than once a week. It's a big commitment as all the dive staff plus most of the management go on the trip. It's all factored into their pricing, I'm sure. But you could contact TIR to ask. If you're going with a big group and everyone wants to do it, plus pay extra for it, then they might go for it.

I'm interested in hearing what TIR's response is on an additional trip. I would guess it would be some big $$ if they'd consider it at all. You're looking at chartering one of their big boats and probably at least 4 staff for the day.
TIR does have Nitrox and I've used it on one of our trips there.
I thought I had heard on our last trip that the new resort is going to be to the north on Lighthouse on/vicinity of North Caye.
I hadn't heard when they are expecting it to be operational.

I thought I had heard on our last trip that the new resort is going to be to the north on Lighthouse on/vicinity of North Caye.
I imagine on the site of the old Lighthouse Reef Resort by the airstrip?

Back
Top Bottom