Asking for Turneffe dive resort recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu-B

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking of returning to Belize this summer. I've been to Ramon's on Ambergris and this time I'm thinking of going out to Turneffe. There seems to be a few choices: Blackbird, Turneffe Flats and Turneffe Resort at the expensive end. Does anyone have experience or thoughts about these operations? Is Turneffe Resort worth the extra money? I prefer less crowded dive boats. Better food is a plus but it would be just me as a solo since my wife doesn't dive and would be too bored in Belize.

There is an additional Turneffe resort now - Belize Dive Haven - A Scuba Divers Paradise Resort on Turneffe Island - Belize Dive Haven. I believe there are some other threads on it.

I went to Blackbird back in 2017, it was a pretty good trip. I'd have to say that I enjoyed the diving around Long Caye the best (Blue Hole trip area). They used smaller boats typically for the diving (only complaint there is no shade), and only used the Newton to transport us to/from the island and to the Blue Hole. I saw they built some new cabanas this last year that look pretty nice. I know they are under new management, as the folks that were there during our stay had left shortly after.

I'd shoot for the Aggressor if I were you, or look into staying at one of the two places on Long Caye (Itza Resort, and Huracan Diving) but be prepared to not have AC on Long Caye.

My wife and I spent 3 weeks at Turneffe Island Resort and had a great time. We had no more than 4 in a dive group and Brad our dive guide was excellent. The diving out at lighthouse atoll after the blue hole was amazing. Food was very good and the staff were superb!

We've stayed at TIR a number of times, and we've also stayed at Huracan.
We really like TIR, as evident by the number of times we've stayed there. Accommodations are very comfortable, food is very, very good in our opinion, and the staff is great. Your daily dive group will be about 6, and could be less. Dive sites are very close and you return to surface interval. On the day trip to the Blue Hole you take the larger boats and do three dives. You get in at intervals with the group and dive master you'll have all week. Gear is always taken care of for you and it is really a "vacation" vacation.
Huracan is more remote and very close to the Blue Hole. The lodge is an older Hurricane shelter and is set inland. There is no air-conditioning and the generator is shut off at night to run on reserved battery power. The individual rooms are nice, but with no air conditioning and little to no breeze inland the nights can get uncomfortable. The food when we were there was very good. They have had a lot of staff turnover since we were there so I can't comment on that. Diving was some of the best we've had in Belize, you just have to be open to less creature comforts.

I've stayed at both TIR and Blackbird. TIR is more high end with excellent service. Nicer accommodations overall. The dive guides are excellent, dive groups smaller. All surface intervals are back at the resort because the dive sites are close by, except of course for the Blue Hole trip.
Also, if you would like to go fishing, TIR offers that as well.

For repeat visits I have chosen TIR.

My wife and I did TIR twice. The first time, it was still Turneffe Island Lodge and we stayed for two weeks. A couple of years later, they had just changed the name to Turneffe Island Resort and we stayed for a week. Loved it both times.

I agree with everything above that's been posted about it. The place is like summer camp for adults. The accommodations are first-class and the food is excellent. Obviously, no real night life to speak of so all there is to do is dive, sleep, eat and relax. We enjoyed it more the first time as the other guests were a more fun bunch both weeks.

Another long-time poster, Stoo, has stayed at both TIR and Huracan. Per Stoo, you get a lot more value at Huracan as it's much cheaper and he now prefers it to TIR. For my wife, the lack of air-conditioning is a non-starter.

We haven't gone back to the atoll in years now that we've discovered Placencia and all that it has to offer. But if we ever do, I'm sure we'll stay at TIR again.

Which of the Turneffe resorts is closer to "the Elbow" dive site?
Turneffe Island Resort is the closest to the Elbow. It's maybe a 5 minute boat ride out to the site.

I would recommend Turneffe, the Elbow, during the full moons of July, Aug and even Sept.
it's a mini version of Gladden Spit, minus the whale sharks. Huge school of cubera snappers spawning, which attracts a lot of other activity. Also a resident school of dog snappers, horse eye jacks, as well as a school of permit. Black grouper. Even had a small school of dolphins swim right up to us. Once a sailfish.
Line up the light towers with the big tree at the cut going into where TIR is. Follow that line to the wall. Unreal spot. As good as Sipadan, Tubattaha...yep.
Oh,, I mostly free dived there. The snappers are a bit wary of bubbles it seems...

Back
Top Bottom