Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly:
...So my question is do you know of anyway that a police officer can have thier information removed from some of these public websites for safety reasons?
I suppose it depends on what info, where it's from and what the local laws/regulations are.

I've done my best to keep my info private. I've done many searches and can't find my phone or address listed anywhere. I also have call ID block, which I have to fax proof that I'm an officer to get. I also have some information listed to my PD's address and phone number. On some state forms, there is a check box to keep our info off of public databases. I do my best, but some stuff can still get out.

Most of the public databases will remove it on request. Now getting it off the databases that are commercial is harder.

Chad

Just to throw a specific number to the people "stalking" police. According to the FBI 10% of police officers that are killed are "stalked" by thier killers. I'm throwing the term stalking out as just a random term, more specificly the FBI has it listed as officers that are followed and studyed by thier killers prior to the act. Essentially killed simply because they are police, not killed in the performance of thier duties.

Try searching yourslef on this site http://www.zabasearch.com/

their number is unlisted, and he moved to his most recent address after becoming a cop, so it was always been unlisted, but yet I was still able to find them there.

Having done massive people locating for a high school reunion, and having been listed with an erroneous address myself, I can tell you that once your info is on the Net, there is no way to remove it. Further, for about $20, anybody can obtain your social security number, your property deeds and liens, vehicle information, your neighbors identities, and more. It's truly scary, not just another urban/Internet legend.

Regarding removal, I've been trying to clean up an obviously incorrect listing for myself. Ironically, I'm not trying to hide, just make it easier for folks to find me. Briefly, the Yahoo "People Search" listing for me has two listings, same street address in two different cities. After my email, Yahoo engineers have manually removed the bogus listing, but then within three months, the Intelius source automatically repeats the bad info. I've emailed Intelius, but without response.

Maybe one or more of those 10% stalking victims' family could turn this issue into a class action suit to force the info-gathering companies to respond better. Because there are so many of them copying each others' info over and over, that info will never be completely erasable once it's "out there".

scubapolly:
Try searching yourslef on this site http://www.zabasearch.com/
Yeah, that's a scary site. I checked myself there, and it has an old address for me, but nothing else. My wife isn't there at all.
I'm don't sit around dreading being stalked...if someone wants to pick me off with a high-powered rifle and scope, there isn't anything I could do about it anyways. I just try to protect myself and my family as best I can.

I'm in there twice...creepy. But why I am posting: I have a semi-entertaining anecdote!
So, my father just acquired a 16' inboard/outboard and went to pick it up today. On the way home, he was stopped... Boat registration was out, trailer out, state inspection sticker was out and vehicle registration was out...and still under the previous owner's name....and to top it all off, no insurance!
He joked with the cop, "I have a good excuse for half of them." As for the trooper, he restored it but never drove it, so they didn't want to pay for everything until they decided if they were keeping it or the suburban.

Around here, when it comes to registration (or anything having to do with a vehicle), it is the responsibility of the driver at the time of the stop. That rubs alot of people the wrong way, so I try to be reasonable about stuff like that.

Probable Cause: an officer's belief based on facts and circumstances sufficiently strong in and of themselves to lead a reasonably prudent officer to believe a crime has, is, or is about to be committed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom