Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 2 cents: A couple of weeks ago I saw two, count them two, LAPD cars pull into the left turn pocket before it actually started. That means they crossed over the center line of the street to do so. The obvious reason was that the intersection is one of the worst in the world and was backed up way past the start of the pocket. To have been completely legal, the two cars would have had to wait for the light to turn green so the traffic in front of them could clear, then go into the pocket, then wait for the light to cycle to their left turn arrow.

I was really bugged by this because that same morning, I had found a motorist guilty on a ticket for exactly the same thing. IMHO, the two cars should have ticketed each other.

I was umarked, out of state, and coming home from training. I technically was "on duty" -- In Chicago, we have all been told that before HR219 passed, the Wisconsin SP would lock us up for UUW if we entered their republic, (oops, state) with our DUTY Weapons.

There is a long sordid history between us and WSP. Needless to say, ALL LEOS should watch out up there, even by the admission of Wisconsin coppers and deputies.

I hear that WSPs even write EACH OTHER. Now that's cold, fellas.

I won't knock the herosim or dedication of ANYONE who wears the badge, but some guys just can't handle playing second string, I gather.

If they break the lawl, they should write each other. To only write civilians could be considered a federal civil rights violation.

Is is ever appropriate to fire "warning shots" or is the rule always to shoot to kill?

scubamax:
Is is ever appropriate to fire "warning shots" or is the rule always to shoot to kill?

I guess if you're dead, there is nothing to debate.........haha. They definately shoot to kill in San Diego, even if your weapon is a stick. I don't mind, get rid of these losers.

Bruce, I'll pardon your liberal tendencies by letting you know that our Constitution allows us to break minor traffic laws in the performance of official duties, or when safe to do so in furtherance of an official act.

In the aforemrntioned LAPD example, they may have cut the merge line to follow a suspect or a vehicle.

If you ASSUME it makes an *** out of U and ME.

It's not all "CRASH" and "THE SHEILD" out there. We cut each other small breaks. Get over it.

this question isn't near as fun as all the others but I have been in the bank before on at least 2 occasions when a police officer has come in and walked up to the desk to sign a notebook. What is this? Is the officer just checking in? How often do they have to do this? This is in NH so i dont know if this varies nation wide.

Wb10005:
Bruce, I'll pardon your liberal tendencies by letting you know that our Constitution allows us to break minor traffic laws in the performance of official duties, or when safe to do so in furtherance of an official act.

In the aforemrntioned LAPD example, they may have cut the merge line to follow a suspect or a vehicle.

If you ASSUME it makes an *** out of U and ME.

It's not all "CRASH" and "THE SHEILD" out there. We cut each other small breaks. Get over it.

I've got no issues when a police officer violates a traffic law in performance of official duties or in furtherance of an official act. In those circumstances the law says the violation is "excused."

I saw the event I described. The officers were not following a suspect vehicle. I saw that. They were not performing official duties, except to the extent they were in marked cars and presumably on duty. They were only sitting through a full cycle of a long red light. If a civilian did the exact same thing, he or she would have been cited and rightly so.

I never assume. I consider only the evidence and those inferences the law says I may draw from it.

I am really offended by your statement that "We cut each other small breaks," and especially your suggestion that I "[g]et over it." Who cuts civilians small breaks? Cutting each other breaks is one of the things that makes the public lose respect for police officers. Of all people, police officers should follow the traffic laws meticulously because they know them even better than civilians.

I've never seen either "Crash" or "The Shield" so I can't comment.

BTW: No one has ever suggested I have liberal tendencies.

ItsBruce:
I've got no issues when a police officer violates a traffic law in performance of official duties or in furtherance of an official act. In those circumstances the law says the violation is "excused."

I saw the event I described. The officers were not following a suspect vehicle. I saw that. They were not performing official duties, except to the extent they were in marked cars and presumably on duty. They were only sitting through a full cycle of a long red light.

How did you know that they weren't responding to a call or trying to get through traffic to an in-progress that requires no siren or light activation (IE: man w/ a gun, burglary or robbery in progress) ???? Unless you had a scanner, you don't know -- you just assumed. MArked units running reds or cutting lanes while in a percieved "non emergency mode" MIGHT actually be trying to make haste TOWARD a felony in progress to actually catch a bad guy w/out scaring him away. In Chicago, it happens ALL the time.

Hmmmmm ..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom