Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny how defense lawyers will try to argue everything...even if there is a law stating the exact opposite of their stance!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, doesn't hold up too well in court. And an attorney that argues that way will have a client that won't be too happy.

2 lane road. School bus stopped with children getting off. From opposite direction an abulance with sirens going aproaches. What should happen?

-Sorry that is a bit of a "stump the cop" question- but I love rules of the road questions when it comes to boating, thought Id see if I could find an intreresting street version.

Another easy one...the school bus driver should hold the kids up and the ambulance must slow/stop to verify it is clear to pass, then continue. A school bus "stop sign" is no different than a regular stop sign. An emergency vehicle MUST drive with what is known as "due regard". Failure to do so may open the operator of the vehicle to criminal and civil liability.
I'm an emergency vehicle operations trainer, so anytime you have a free couple of days, I'd be happy to tell you allllllll about the emergency response laws! :)

OK.
4 lane road. No median.

Turn off lane going into subdivision.

School bus pulls out of the roadway into the turn in lane to discharge passengers.

Displays the stop sign. Does following traffic still have to stop since the bus pulled out of the roadway onto a turn in lane.

I know that in the state of Georgia, drivers approaching a stopped school bus on a thoroughfare that has opposing lanes separated by a median are not required to stop.

the K

Based on the above scenario, all traffic would still have to stop. I'm not sure on Georgia law, but it sounds similar to the law here. Unless it's divided by a meadian strip, you still have to stop.

TJcop:
A school bus "stop sign" is no different than a regular stop sign.

It is here. Or are you reffering only to emergency vehicles?

I was referring how an emergency vehicle must treat it. No, you can't stop, check for kids, then proceed. But, an emergency vehicle, operating in emergency mode (lights and siren), MUST slow/stop as needed to check for traffic (cars and kids), and then MAY proceed with due regard.

Thanks for helping me clarify that. :D

Wow, I thought this thread had long since died off, glad to see its still floating around out there. Cant wait to see what conversations we get in this time around.

Knight, welcome back! Yeah, I'm glad to see it back. At 61 pages, it's probably due for a split.

Keep those questions coming!

OK, here's another one.

In most states, if not all, a license is required to carry a handgun.

What about a long gun? Can I sling my .308 on my shoulder and walk about with it?

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom