Asian Diving club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exclusionary organizations are only racist if there is an economic benefit to them. The reason golf clubs, yacht clubs, etc. were forced to change membership rules that excluded people on the basis of race or gender is that they can function as an "old boys" network that gives their members a business advantage. (At least, that's what I've heard, it's never worked for me)

I've seen black ski clubs on the slopes and I think it's great; anything that gets more minorities involved in upscale hobbies like skiing and scuba will hasten the breakdown of social barriers.

Plus, when people share a cultural background, it's easier to decide where to eat after a dive.

LOL, Trust me, even people of the same cultural background can't decide where to eat quickly!

A little history of ethnic dive clubs

Nisei kelp Tanglers----

Limited to Nisei --second generation Japanese. Organized after WW 11. Many were member of the famed 442 Combat Infantry battalion of WW 11and/or veterans of the Korean conflict. Great divers, Great competitors, great friends and respected by all. Sam Ichakawa was probably most visible...Manager of Repair Department for Scuba Pro for 25 plus years.

Membership was opened up to Occidentals in later years

Korean Dive Club----

Formed in the 1970s, limited to divers of Korean decent ; majority at that time were recent immigrants. Developed a reputation of ignoring F&G regulations. Always chartered Eddie Tsukamura's dive boat the "Golden Doubloon." He repeatedly warned them about violating F&G laws; they ignored him, he cancelled all their charters and organized the dive boat fleet who refused to also charter or accept them as passengers.

Captain Eddie's efforts was acknowledged by awards from the Dive Boat Association, LA county UW Instructors Association (were he received a long standing ovation by the members) and a public acknowledgement in
"The Pacific Underwater News," the predecessor to CDN

In the last ten or so years contingent of Korean divers who refer to them selves as the "Korean Dive club" has re-appeared in BOLA in Baja with essentially the same MO. Efforts were/are underway by the local authorities to monitor their game taking in Mexico

Black UW explorers---

Was created by Dr. Jose Jones et al about 15 year ago in Washington DC especially for the Afro-American Diver. Branches were established in most major US metropolitan dive centers, and of course L. A. They have an annual meeting called a "Summit" in exotic diving areas.

sdm

A little history of ethnic dive clubs

Nisei kelp Tanglers----

Limited to Nisei --second generation Japanese. Organized after WW 11. Many were member of the famed 442 Combat Infantry battalion of WW 11and/or veterans of the Korean conflict. Great divers, Great competitors, great friends and respected by all. Sam Ichakawa was probably most visible...Manager of Repair Department for Scuba Pro for 25 plus years.

Membership was opened up to Occidentals in later years

Korean Dive Club----

Formed in the 1970s, limited to divers of Korean decent ; majority at that time were recent immigrants. Developed a reputation of ignoring F&G regulations. Always chartered Eddie Tsukamura's dive boat the "Golden Doubloon." He repeatedly warned them about violating F&G laws; they ignored him, he cancelled all their charters and organized the dive boat fleet who refused to also charter or accept them as passengers.

Captain Eddie's efforts was acknowledged by awards from the Dive Boat Association, LA county UW Instructors Association (were he received a long standing ovation by the members) and a public acknowledgement in
"The Pacific Underwater News," the predecessor to CDN

In the last ten or so years contingent of Korean divers who refer to them selves as the "Korean Dive club" has re-appeared in BOLA in Baja with essentially the same MO. Efforts were/are underway by the local authorities to monitor their game taking in Mexico

Black UW explorers---

Was created by Dr. Jose Jones et al about 15 year ago in Washington DC especially for the Afro-American Diver. Branches were established in most major US metropolitan dive centers, and of course L. A. They have an annual meeting called a "Summit" in exotic diving areas.

sdm

Yeah, I heard about the Korean dive club =/ It's actually rather embarrassing! From what I understand, they haven't been around for quite a while. Korean society and it's views on resources have changed quite rapidly and drastically over the past decade or two.
The previous generation (the ones that were the majority first generation immigrants during the time of that club) were born during a time after Korea had been pillaged or destroyed by wars, occupations, etc. Then they went through rebuilding and an industrial revolution. During those times, pillaging of resources for what you need tend to be um.. normal. They weren't raised with the same ideas of sustaining our environment. I'm actually rather proud of what they have accomplished though in such a short period of time in that South Korea went from a backwater 3rd world country to the 13-14th richest nation in the world. The last generation or 2 have endured occupations and wars to rebuild a close to being lost culture and even alphabet and have created the most wired country in the world that leads in superconductor technology. With this, though, there has been an entire generation or two that have very little regard to anything but making a better life for themselves, their children, and their country, at the expense of environmental considerations.

It's now my generations turn to fix that and it's my generation of Koreans (well I'm Korean American) that now have the luxury to focus on more of those issues while continuing to build on what our parents and grandparents built.

Clammy,

I totally agree with all your comments.

Your explanation of the cultural differences of the original immigrants is long over due and certainly appreciated. I will be passing your definitive comments on to others who were participants during that black era of recreational diving in SoCal.

The advancements made by your parent's country of origin is also acknowledged. As an ex-USAF officer of the Korean conflict , I had a front row seat of a third world county which has, in a little over 50 years, emerged as a major player on the world economic stage.

You should be very proud of your heritage as an Korean and now as a native born American

I wish you well in erasing that stigma of the Korean dive club of earlier years and your future efforts of in developing a new universally respected new Korean dive club, if that be your goal.

sdm

Yea I will admit, I was quick to get hot on this one. I can respect your reasons for joining a club like that, cultural ties are strong amognst Koreans. Especially if your second generation Korean. You know I said that I hated the way media works everybody up about race but it seems I fell right into that same trap as I was typing.

I'm not into race at all... I hate running or driving fast.

Sam... thanks for the insight about Capt. Eddie and the "Golden Doubloon." That was the only commercial dive boat I dived from in the 60's. In fact, it brought me to Catalina for my first job in 1969. After that we had our own dive boat at the school that we used for my marine biology classes and rec diving.

How about a dive club with hot Asian women who are very serious about diving and learning about marine life... but not serious enough to take me seriously?

Back
Top Bottom