Asian Diving club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, outside of your standard little bit of everyone dive clubs, I've noticed that are are a variety of other more "specialized" clubs. I've noticed that there are African American Dive clubs, Womens dive clubs, Gay dive clubs, Latino Dive clubs, Christian dive clubs, and etc etc.

Are there any Asian diving clubs? Especially in Southern California? I've been diving for a bit over a year and I'm surprised at how many other asians I DON'T see diving frequently. Considering it's a hugely popular sport in Asia (well southeast asia mostly), I thought that I would see many more asian divers around.

Clammy, I'll be interested in the results of this thread.

Heck there should be such a club. I know there is a group of Korean divers whose instructor brings classes to the dive park fairly often. Why there's a dive group for GOD's (Grumpy Old Divers) like me.

Clammy, Check out these guys. They are predominantly Asian and run a great program and have a very active club.
Ocean Safari Scuba

Dive clubs based on race? I mean I understand a dive club based on age, but ethnicity? I think you can get away with asking that question because you are asian! I wonder what kind of response the OP would have gotten if he wanted to join an all white dive club...***. I consider myself a more conservative guy and I can't stand the way the media makes EVERYTHING about race, but your question is borders on racist.

And to round off my point, I think dive clubs based on ethnicity only serve to draw lines in the sand.

Dive clubs based on race? I mean I understand a dive club based on age, but ethnicity? I think you can get away with asking that question because you are asian! I wonder what kind of response the OP would have gotten if he wanted to join an all white dive club...***. I consider myself a more conservative guy and I can't stand the way the media makes EVERYTHING about race, but your question is borders on racist.

I think you are overreacting. Many clubs or groups that cater to or are predominantly one race, age, gender or other distinction are no different than any other group. The distinction is whether joining the group is restricted to a particular faction. These dive clubs do not make the distinction, if you are certified and can afford the dues, you too can join in the fun.

Thats one, thing, but to deny acceptance, or one coming on a trip based on race is bs.

I agree, but that's has not been the case with any club I've joined or dived with.

And also would the same question be tolerated if somebody wanted to join a WHITE dive club? I am not arguing this anymore, it is a black hole. That is my opinion.

And to round off my point, I think dive clubs based on ethnicity only serve to draw lines in the sand.

It's less about race then it is about cultural comfort. I'm a second generation Korean American. I was born here but was raised by first generation immigrants. This puts me in a situation where I effectively straddle two different cultures. As a result, there are people that I meet that can't really understand that type of cultural dichotomy and those that can. I'm also much more tolerant and understanding of pretty much any culture. In fact the only time I've been culture shocked was returning to Korea after a 10 year period of not going! In any case, my diving buddies and friends tend to be just that. Diving buddies and friends. Not because I don't like them in some way or whatever, but because our lives tend to be drastically different enough to not fit into each others normal social lives. I would LIKE to integrate my various social and hobby lives, but it rarely happens. The people I run with aren't divers. The people I dive with tend not to be runners. And the people I hang out with socially, tend to not do either. I find that sometimes it's easier to start with another commonality and go from there. In this case it happens to be a cultural one since it's a broader net.

If it helps, I'm also looking for dive groups that are full of people closer to my age (20s). Also a broad net.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom