DIR- GUE Ascent training in High Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunny_diver

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible to do ascent training in High Springs? I'm talking about open water, not cave. For example, ascending from about 80 ft with a gas switch at 70 ft. Just want to work on that under the watchful eye of one of the many instructors in High Springs.

I think it's not possible there, but I thought I'd ask.

Possible in a cenote in Mexico though?

Maybe from some deep point in Orange Grove?
Mexico yes, but not from all cenotes.
Why not just do it in open water; why go to cave sites?

Troy springs is good for it, max depth is about 70-80 depending on where the river is.

Maybe someone who has taken Tech 1 in the High Springs area can elaborate, but my guess is that for training purposes you would simulate the 70-ft stop at some shallower depth. It's hard to find even 40 feet of open water in the area--Orange Grove, mentioned by tursiops, is one.

Edit: @crofrog is correct. I practiced ascents at Troy. I don't think it gets as deep as 80 feet, though, so you still have to simulate the 70-ft stop at some shallower depth.

Why not just do it in open water; why go to cave sites?

There seems to be a surplus of instructors in High Springs and I imagine logistics could be easier than boat diving.

Is it possible to do ascent training in High Springs? I'm talking about open water, not cave. For example, ascending from about 80 ft with a gas switch at 70 ft. Just want to work on that under the watchful eye of one of the many instructors in High Springs.

I think it's not possible there, but I thought I'd ask.

Possible in a cenote in Mexico though?
Angelita southwest of Tulum has a reputation as a pit of pain for many a GUE diver. Down and up all day long with plenty of depth for T1 dives.
1728923004367.jpeg

Maybe from some deep point in Orange Grove?

Troy springs is good for it, max depth is about 70-80 depending on where the river is.

It's hard to find even 40 feet of open water in the area--Orange Grove, mentioned by tursiops, is one.
Actually, it was Troy Springs I was thinking of....Sorry.
There seems to be a surplus of instructors in High Springs and I imagine logistics could be easier than boat diving.
Depending on where you go, you may not need a boat. and, how many instructors do you need? Seems ;like one might be enough.....
Area9 Mastery Dive Center Area9 Mastery Diving Research Center in bonaire is another great place to do it. Shore dive to 150+ ft is really easy.
Pretty much anywhere in Bonaire you can find those depths easily on a shore dive.

Pretty much anywhere in Bonaire you can find those depths easily on a shore dive.

Sure but if he's looking for a GUE instructor that's where Mr G is now, a bunch of classes are being conducted, and it's at oil slick so really easy to walk to the "house reef" with doubles etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom