Mexican "ecocide" of its cenotes with the train line is finally mainstream news to the non-diving world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi i understand your point. i live in playa del carmen from 2005 from 2008 cenotes where my playground.

Professional diver are a tiny portion of the population this is not what drive the economy down there.

Resort. Golf, Real estate, Corruption...These factors could not care less of dark cold and deep cave that we enjoy or we try to preserve. You wish they will care of the opinion will change but it s not gonna happen.

I am sorry to tell you but it's over better move.
That’s ok then. :)

Are you suggesting that losing a few cenotes is not a big deal because there are many others?
No, I 'm not suggesting, I'm implying. No one is sure what the long term effect is, if any. But your concern is welcoming news.

Tangentially related is the wildfires on the mainland. I tried to find out if they're intentionally set (some are, to prepare for planting season, and some are simply due to it being the dry season). Either way, I wonder if uncontrolled wildfires each spring will become an eyesore or problematic if the train brings more tourism to the Yucatan Peninsula?

IMG_4566.jpeg
IMG_4567.jpeg

In my opinion the problem here was (its a done deal the tracks are already in place so the damage is already done) the way it was done. According to Mexican law you have to do environmental impact studies before this kind of projects. This was skipped, so the project was stopped by the courts. In a power play AMLO declared the train important to national security and forced the project trough building it using security laws and using army engineers to build the project under project management of the Mexican army. This way the project skipped all the environmental studies needed to actually do this in a sustainable way and bypassing the juridical system. So this is why people are complaining about environmental impact of a train even if the train itself have pretty low carbon emissions per passenger, how its build impact the environment.

Im not one of those that complain to much about the pillars under the track as i think its more important that the train when its first get build will not collapse into the cave. Its ugly as **** and its is the prize we pay for the ugly business of mass tourism.

In my opinion the problem here was (its a done deal the tracks are already in place so the damage is already done) the way it was done. According to Mexican law you have to do environmental impact studies before this kind of projects. This was skipped, so the project was stopped by the courts. In a power play AMLO declared the train important to national security and forced the project trough building it using security laws and using army engineers to build the project under project management of the Mexican army. This way the project skipped all the environmental studies needed to actually do this in a sustainable way and bypassing the juridical system. So this is why people are complaining about environmental impact of a train even if the train itself have pretty low carbon emissions per passenger, how its build impact the environment.

Im not one of those that complain to much about the pillars under the track as i think its more important that the train when its first get build will not collapse into the cave. Its ugly as **** and its is the prize we pay for the ugly business of mass tourism.

they build road over
underground river in florida most
likely it will not happen. We have a underground river here they build 100 of houses in top of it still standing for more the 70 years and more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom