DIR- GUE Ascent training in High Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We usually go a couple hours south to Hudson Grotto for ascent training. You can get to about 110ft in open water there. It’s not a very pretty dive and you’ll smell a bit of hydrogen sulfide for a few days after, but it’s good practice. Locally in high springs (within an hour or so) we don’t have any options other than Troy.

If you’re looking to do it in the near future, be aware that Troy has been browned out/flooded almost all year due to flooding on the Suwannee. It was (briefly) clear in late June/July, then we got a series of hurricanes (Debby, Helene, Milton) that have been dumping rain in the watershed and keeping the Suwannee rather high. :/

You’d prob have to run south to Hudson.

A Teammate and I used Vortex Springs near Ponce Leon, FL. when we were training for Tech-1. Kelly Colwell is a GUE Instructor in the area who might be able to help out. He's on Facebook and runs the Big Blue Dive Boat.

Angelita southwest of Tulum has a reputation as a pit of pain for many a GUE diver. Down and up all day long with plenty of depth for T1 dives.
View attachment 865582
I f'ing hate angelita now after taking my first ccr course there. The chemocline is an evil bitch. When you lose your buoyancy because you're new to ccr, she loves to suck you in and make you feel liek the worst diver in the world.
Not a gue course, but was taught by a gue instructor

Hudson Grotto for ascent training. It’s not a very pretty dive and you’ll smell a bit of hydrogen sulfide for a few days after,
There's a reason I've dubbed it Devil's Butthole

I would rather be in a silt out than go below 30 feet in that hell hole. I can't explain why it makes me feel horrible and uncomfortable, but it gives me the heeby jeebies bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom