Argon - Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gloveboxtech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently purchased a drysuit and it came with an argon setup. My question is about the argon. Is all argon the same or is there different types of argon that I should use? Or is argon just argon?

Thanks for the help.

As far as I know, argon is just argon. You won't be breathing it, so there aren't any purity issues to worry about.

Just be sure not to get an argon 'mix' (i.e. argon/CO2) that are also available in welding shops.

Here is a good site for further details: Practical Argon

Argon is a noble gas and doesn't react chemically with other elements under normal conditions. Barring any trace gases or a fill station adding something other than argon, argon is just argon. Argon is produced by fractional distillation of ordinary atmospheric air, so any trace gases will also have come from atmospheric air. You aren't going to be breathing it (and would not want to!) so it's not something you need worry about.

To the best of my knowledge, Argon is produced virtually exclusively in North America and Europe through cryogenic separation of atmospheric air along with Oxygen and Nitrogen, which is the primary product. A little under 1% of air is Argon. As a result, it is pure to at around 99.99%.

All the plants I have seen use unlubricated ultra-pure stainless steel flexing diaphragm compressors. As it was explained to me, diaphragm compressors are used so frozen hydrocarbons don’t clog the cryogenic separation stack rather than for concern over contaminating the product.

Another thing with diving with Argon. It only works if you replace all the air in your suit with Argon. This will require you to vent (squat) and get as much air out of the suit before you fill with argon.

Because of this and because Argon is kinda expensive, I don't use it until I really need it, i.e. Pt. Hardy.

Another thing with diving with Argon. It only works if you replace all the air in your suit with Argon. This will require you to vent (squat) and get as much air out of the suit before you fill with argon.

Because of this and because Argon is kinda expensive, I don't use it until I really need it, i.e. Pt. Hardy.

Agreed, I just use air in my "argon" bottle. I did once see a guy who brought out an old 72 filled with argon, and used that just to pump and flush his drysuit before the dive, so it was was argon filled as he could get it. Way overkill for me.

The way I see it, if you have done everything else to keep warm, ie. different undergarments, then argon would be your last shot at getting a teeny bit of warmth.

The way I see it, if you have done everything else to keep warm, ie. different undergarments, then argon would be your last shot at getting a teeny bit of warmth.

With proper undergarments, I've dove waters in the 33-37 degree range and been comfortable - without argon. I don't know how much of a difference it would make, I have doubts that it would be much of an improvement. I'd rather not carry an extra bottle.

Or you could get this. From DUI.

DOGs Only

DOGs will have a unique opportunity to be among the first test divers of DUI's latest product: Electrically Heated Insulation. While this product will not be released until later this year, DUI is offering DOGs the opportunity to check out this revolutionary new concept NOW. There are only a few systems available to test so interested divers must contact Faith@dui-online.com and complete our quick online questionnaire. Don't wait!

With proper undergarments, I've dove waters in the 33-37 degree range and been comfortable - without argon. I don't know how much of a difference it would make, I have doubts that it would be much of an improvement. I'd rather not carry an extra bottle.

Pump your suit full of helium and go for a 38 degree dive and let me know what you think. :D

just remember, dont get the French Argon, it makes you smell of cheese and garlic :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom