Apeks Flight intermediate pressure. Do I have to depressurise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds good. But can I be sure about it? I do not want do dammage a regulator which got new service.
Asked and answered. You may not be sure but several of us are and have said just that. You're fine👍🙏

But...

If you're too nervous take it to a shop you trust🤷‍♂️

(PS I'd trust folk here on SB more readily than a shop I did not know, he'll more than any shop I've ever encountered actually)

In case of Poseidon Xstream you MUST depressurize. They tell you purging-only is not enough, you will dammage diaphragm.
I have zero experience with Poseidon, they are not usual.

Any Apeks, Aqualung, Scubapro diaphragm first stage I assure you what has been said is correct.

The regulator was in a shop. But he was not able and willing to fill the cylinder, which I fully understand. My adapter between cylinder and first stage is home made. So the shop was not able to set ip, I must do it by myself.

OK, I will set IP while cylinder is pressurized. I will set the lowest possible ip on empty cylinder, fill the cylinder and then raise ip step by step. And I will purge while raising. Sounds good.

Thanks to everybody.

why don´t you check (and set if necesary) the IP of your Apeks regulator on another tank, a" normal one" and then, put it back on your argon cylinder ?

Am I correct in assuming that you have no way to "turn it off"? Once you install the 1st stage on a tank and fill it, you have constant air pressure in it unless the tank is empty? If this is the case, then yes, setting the IP will be an interesting feat without draining the tank. You could hook the inflator hose to a BC and and purge it while adjusting the diaphragm spring.

You could also temporarily put a second stage on one of the LP ports and push the purge or breathe on it (not argon) while you adjust, but then you'll have to drain the tank to get the second stage off. Even more reason to just leave it be unless it was way off.

why don´t you check (and set if necesary) the IP of your Apeks regulator on another tank, a" normal one" and then, put it back on your argon cylinder ?
See pic. I can not put it on another tank. The DIN/Yoke part does not exist anymore.

Am I correct in assuming that you have no way to "turn it off"? Once you install the 1st stage on a tank and fill it, you have constant air pressure in it unless the tank is empty? If this is the case, then yes, setting the IP will be an interesting feat without draining the tank. You could hook the inflator hose to a BC and and purge it while adjusting the diaphragm spring.

You could also temporarily put a second stage on one of the LP ports and push the purge or breathe on it (not argon) while you adjust, but then you'll have to drain the tank to get the second stage off. Even more reason to just leave it be unless it was way off.
Yes you are right I can not turn it off.
Yes your are right, I will add a second stage for purging. I think a second stage has more air flow than an inflator so purging is more effective.
Yes I will have to drain the tank to get the 2nd stage off.
I will leave the tank empty anyway if it is not in use. I think the first stage does not like permanent pressurizing. I fill it right befor diving and drain afterwards.

The idea of this argon tank is beeing small. If you have a 1 or 2 lt argon tank then the valve and DIN connector are about 20%(?) of the whole system. So I just leave them away.

A similar system is Poseidon's EBS poseidon EBS The EBS has an on-off- valve intergrated which of course is better then having none. And it needs no adapter, the EBS already has a M18x1.5 thread. But it's a bit more bulky than Apeks Fligth and much more expensive.

Yes you are right I can not turn it off.
Yes your are right, I will add a second stage for purging. I think a second stage has more air flow than an inflator so purging is more effective.
Yes I will have to drain the tank to get the 2nd stage off.
I will leave the tank empty anyway if it is not in use. I think the first stage does not like permanent pressurizing. I fill it right befor diving and drain afterwards.

The idea of this argon tank is beeing small. If you have a 1 or 2 lt argon tank then the valve and DIN connector are about 20%(?) of the whole system. So I just leave them away.

A similar system is Poseidon's EBS poseidon EBS The EBS has an on-off- valve intergrated which of course is better then having none. And it needs no adapter, the EBS already has a M18x1.5 thread. But it's a bit more bulky than Apeks Fligth and much more expensive.
That sounds wildly inconvenient, just to save a few inches. Personally, I think you're optimizing for the wrong thing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom