Argon Bottle setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't some people turn the IP down to 70psi or so to reduce the inflation rate? That makes the reg choice much more limited.

What is the purpose/meaning of the "purge tank"?

To flush air out of the suit. You make yourself look like Bibendum, then deflate and do that a couple of times in order to flush all the air out of the suit.

Roak

A few folks do not believe that argon really provides any thermal protection... I am not one of them.

Argon is used primarily when the back gas contains helium which transfers heat away from the body quite rapidly.

Argon is the gas used in thermopane type double glazed windows.

By introducing argon into the drysuit the thermal transfer is reduced and the diver stays warmer.

But introducing a small amount of argon during descent into a suit that was primarily full of air and methane really doesn't accomplish much.

However we pre-purge our suits so that we are starting with argon.

How do we pre-purge you ask... well we inflate our suits with argon and then dump it out the neck seal... then we inflate our suits again with argon and again dump it out... two purges is sufficient imo.... then we get the rest of the gear on and go diving:D

I know you've seen my argon setup, Wetman, but I'll offer this for others.

I use a steel 2200 psi , 6 cuft (originally an Oygen) tank.
It is painted orange and stencilled ARGON in 2" tall letters
The Oxygen valve has been machined to accept a scuba o-ring, so it now fits a standard yoke regulator.
I use an old Scubpro Mk5 ballanced piston 1st stage(it has only two LP ports) which is sufficient for the LP hose and pressure relief valve.

I chose a flow through pistion for two reasons,
1) I had one surplus, but I also have a diaphram 1st stage as well.
2) Argon is a large molecule and does not flow as readily as air.
I have noticed this at depth, injection into the suit is extremely slow below 100 fsw.

I sewed a harness from 1 inch nylon strapping, and it has two brass snap clips to attach to my backplate.

regards

Mike D

:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom