Area Gulf Water Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hit alot of spots yesterday. no vis in the shallow stuff. ran 60 miles W/NW to a ledge in 130'. Top vis was awesome and then it dropped fast. Was dark on the bottom with 15' of vis. Thermo of a few degrees about 50' down. Didn't get to the other spot in 120' that we wanted to since someone was on it.

Best vis was ledges in 90'-75'. Had 25'. One ledge was in the vacinity of the Sheridan.

Ye, you are sooo right! Weather was great but vis stunk all the way around. Was able to see my hand, barely... grumble grumble!

Glad to hear that steelcity,

Covered some ground today... dove a few miles west of the Sheridan, in the afternoon in 100 feet and the vis on the bottom dropped to about 12 feet.

Running back from there, we also hit a spot in 75 feet a few miles north of the Sheridan and found dirty water there too, less than 10 feet.

In the morning dove NW of the Pride in 130 feet and it was green on the bottom with poor vis.

Hit a spot in 157 feet off Sarasota and found clear water on the bottom, about 40 feet.

Chad

Chad,

Thanks for info. Talked to some commercial spongers and they said bad all the way to Crystal River. Worried what you said,,that bad off shore. Everyone thinks it is all run off from rains we had. Not sure that far off. Had 10 from Bill Jacksons on my Boat Sat at Vet Barge and had my DM take water samples top and bottom and I federal expressed them to the state today.

Will ask them results and see if they know.

Have Charter Tuesday, NO clue where to take them. Did find some OK water Sunday in 64 feet.

Hit 3 spots today in 52' to 60' just north and south of the Whistler (Tampa Bay shipping channel farewell buoy.)

25' to 30' vis horizontal. Nearly top to bottom.

Flat as a pancake and 83*F to 85*F.

More later... Capt Chad

Checked out 2 Tarpon ledges Tuesday, July 21st. Seas were flat, depths were 33' and 31' and vis was awful...maybe 5 feet. Bottom temps registered at 88 and 84 degrees.

Monday, Aug. 3rd we went to the Orange Tug, a nearby ledge in 70' and the Tramp Steamer.
Viz at the Tug was 20' - 30'.
Viz at the ledge was around 40'.
Viz at the Tramp Steamer was 30- 40 at the beginning, but decreased as the current picked up.

Took Charter group out. 52 foot ledge West of Clw Pass, 40 foot Vis Wed. Back in and south at Rube Allen about 15 feet.

Lots of rain and storms off shore in the A.M. and noon time. VERY NICE HAVING RADAR ON CELL PHONE TO TRACK STORM CELLS OFF SHORE!! You are missing the boat if not hooked up.

Full moon currents are kicking up stuff and dropping vis.

Almost no current yesterday in 30' to 45' out of JP. 15' to 25' vis respectively & flat as a lake.

Just got a Blackberry with the radar internet connection, very cool as long as I'm not too far offshore and lose reception.

The go or stay decision is made with my laptop on it's air card, the morning of planned departure. It's just too much trouble to open downstairs when offshore.

I find it most important to have boat radar for storms and running in low visibility or darkness.

Chad

@ Spanish Rocks; viz was a foot maybe two or three in spots... Really bad. If you aren't use to low viz, I wouldn't bother for several days... IMO Wait for some days w/o a high wind and easterly flows. Temp; don't remember exactly. Somewhere in the mid-80's HOT :D

Venice was about five foot. Ten in some areas but those were few and far between. Nailed a super nice sized flounder. I've named him Fred. He is now filleted and in my freezer :D Same high temps as in Venice.

Cheers and happy diving.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom