Area Gulf Water Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had OW students out with Capt Rod on Wed 6-3, 1' seas, overcast but nice.

Masthead Ledge: 60' west of Clearwater. Surprised to see only 20' of greenish visibility.

Manifold Ledge: 32' off Clearwater. Happy to see 20' visibility here with much more light. Saw ton's of big mangos and a lone big hog. My trigger finger twitched the whole dive!

Chad

June 4th

5;30 A.M. While loading Ice and Electronics into trailer at home light rain and no air movement.
6:00 A.M. Loading rental gear and getting boat ready at Dock and the Rain has stopped and light wind of 2 knots from East. All good.

2 miles out of Clw Pass wind Picking up to about 5-7 knots and small swells. and Very confused seas from South. Very over cast.

6 miles out of Clw Pass wind about 7-10 knots and swells larger and running faster from south. Seas still very confused. Means I am running in the trough to the barges which sucks!

ON Vet Barge, wind blowing steady about 9 knots from South. Swells running about 2-3 but not bad. Starting to lay down a little.

Checked Radar on Cell phone. GOD I wish I had this 20 years ago.

Some large Clouds to West and South but all appear Green on my cell phone. Text Wife at home to go to our Weather site on our web page and give me all the latest updates.

F Y I if you want everything at your finger tips my wife set up this incredible weather page on our web site so all our guest can get the Very best up to the minutes weather info. If saves me a LOT of time telling guest weather conditions.... I LOVE IT! She even cuts and paste the NOAA reports at least twice a day to make it easy for everyone. All my fishing guide buddies love it. IT could save a trip or even a life, use it. Weather link on our home page, Scuba Dive Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Diving Tampa, Clearwater, St.Petersburg - Dive Trip Charter Boat

Remember, summer squalls wind can go from 5 mph to 70 mph and higher and seas from flat to 10 foot in less then 10 minutes. Been in a hundred of them over the years. Remember to always keep your bow into the wind. Most only last 10 to 15 minutes. Never run with it. Put life jackets on and call CG with lat/long and P.O.B. if really bad.

Per the Instructor on my boat Scuba John the Vis was about 15 foot.

Saw my Buddies Narcosis ( a GREAT six pack boat from Tarpon Springs) parked on the airplane barge. Called them on radio and asked him what his divers reports. Said same of 15 foot and no GG.

The Instructor on my boat said he read 79 at bottom which is a degree colder the last weekend. Could be overcast of difference in computer.

Wind about 12 knots on way in. A little sloppy. Swells got bigger next to shore like they always do.

About 3:30 P.M. while at Dock cleaning up wind picked up Strong from South. Small white caps in ICW.

Based on that wind and storm forecast I cancelled my Friday Charter.

Weather looks OK for my Saturday and Sunday trip.

Be safe, NEVER go out without checking forecast and remember to file a float plan. I do every trip with Tow Boat U.S. while I do my radio check. And make sure your EPIRB is working.

Tues 6/9

80' off of Tarpon Vis was only like 20' at the bottom bout 50 vertical from the surface.
65' off Pasco vis 40-45ish
35ft Pasco reef site #2 25ish

Did not even look at the temp I was in shorts and was very comfy.
Seas were a bit bumpy 2ft going out 4ft coming in at 6pm

Last edited:
Vet Plane Wed. Vis about 15 to 20... The Sea snot that was gone is back but smaller. Turtle ledge, a mile west, Vis about the Same. Temp 82 top and bottom. Took samples of water and Fed Ex them to Red Tide people tonight.

Bait gone from Barge... sucks!! One spooked GG on Air plane barge.

NOT much on barge.

Got a group of 12 from Bill Jacksons I am taking to VET barge Sunday... HOPE vis is better then and the GG are back. Second dive shop in Afternoon but worried about thunderstorms that day..

Strong tides kicking things up a little also.

Had family of 8 on charter trip today. Pictures of water posted in a day or two of Today at Scuba Dive Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Diving Tampa, Clearwater, St.Petersburg - Dive Trip Charter Boat YOU can see water conditions in pictures.... On top and below... even video of seas....

Going out Thursday... HOPE to fine cleaner water.

Spoke to Capt. Joyce from Narcosis tonight to send her 3 more divers for July 3rd and she said water is Better off of Tarpon. I am Super busy... Sent her 5 divers Tuesday and some more to my buddy Capt. Rod on the Plunger. He called me on the radio and said he went South today so I might try that Thursday.

Wind was blowing about 7-9 knots at 5:30 A.M. out of the WEST when I got to the Dock this morning...(like a 3:00 P.M. sea breeze) Little worried about the Seas but not too bad. Wind stayed out of the West all day... just 2 foot swells all day.

Be safe,,, Have fun...

Thur about 63 feet off Clw, Vis about 25 feet, Second dive on Rube Vis was about 20 feet. Good news. Lots of GG. Group of 10 divers I had on charter saw at least 7 different ones.

Less sea snot.

Water temp was 82 top to bottom. Took more Red tide samples.. Did not see any signs.

Saturday.

Wind about 7 knots at 6:00 A.M. at Dock.

Confussed seas out the pass. Got better off shore.

Eight divers, two crew.

64 feet West of Clw. Vis was Down from last week. Maybe 15 to 20 ... Was OVER 20 last week.

Rube.. 10 to 15 feet. NOT much bait. Temp about 82 top to bottom.

Nice sea conditions all day.

several GG.

Photo's and Videos in a day or two of seas at Scuba Dive Florida - Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters - Diving Tampa, Clearwater, St.Petersburg - Dive Trip Charter Boat

Be Safe,, Have fun !!

Sunday: June 13th.

1st. Dive: M9 Tanks... 12.9 nm from Venice inlet on a 258-Degree course.
Max Depth: 65'
Botom Temp: 78
Botom Time: 30 min.
Viz: 10'-15' ok 15'-20' Shadows
Splash time: 11:00 AM.
Notes:
Saw Spanish Macks, AJ's, & a few Mangrove Snapers...
Shot 2 AJ's :cool2: All Pics Below are from M9...

2nd. Dive: M15 Culverts... 4.2 nm from Venice inlet
Max Depth: 41'
Botom Temp: 80
Botom Time: 1 Hr.
Viz: 5'-10' ok 10'-12' Shadows
Splash time: 1:00 PM.
Notes:
You can tell there is alot of fishing pressure on these near shore
Artificial Reefs....I saw 2-3 & in some cases 4-5 boats fishing the
the line of M's going out of Venice Inlet. I can't say I'm shocked
because we had some great weather..... I would say I saw about
only half the fish I saw 2-3 weeks ago.... :depressed: Annyway the
only thing we saw Worth shooting was a 17" Flounder..... :D

Attachments

• PICT0403.jpg
    PICT0403.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 55
  • PICT0407.jpg
    PICT0407.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 50
  • PICT0410.jpg
    PICT0410.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 59
  • PICT0420.jpg
    PICT0420.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 49
  • PICT0430.jpg
    PICT0430.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 52
  • PICT0434.jpg
    PICT0434.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 53
  • PICT0440.jpg
    PICT0440.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 61
Hit the Blackthorn and the Sheridan this afternoon (Fri.)

Love diving in a T-shirt... nice and warm this time of year!

Visibility was a solid 30' without suspended algae.

Eagle rays, Loggerhead turtle and lots of fish!

More tomorrow.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom