Area Gulf Water Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks OceanDvr & Cattrips. There's still some good skinny water freediving to be done out there... once this wind backs off! I'm bagging going offshore with my students tomorrow.

Blue Grotto will likely be crystal clear and empty, but chilly!

Chad

Did 5 spearfishing dives out of Stump Pass on Sunday...

First one was around 9 am ish., last one around 5pm ish.... We had 50 ft. of viz in the first dive in 68 ft...... WOW!!!!!! I was doing my safty stop @ around 15' and could still see divers at the botom..... Amazing!!!!!!! ooohhh and the water was a real nice blue.... I was in Venice on Sat. in 50' of water and it was blue and clear on top with 20-25' of viz up untill you got to the botom 20' of water the viz was kinda murky green 15' of viz on botom W/ a nice thermocline of about 4-5 degrees diff.
Viz deteriorated throught the day last dive was like 25' of viz in 70' of water...
All dives were 60' - 80' of water.... :D

Anybody have a vis report on the gulf for about 16 miles out of Tarpon. I could use the info to make a go/no-go decision

Went today off Anna Maria Island, three dives, one each at 22, 20, and 17 miles. Viz was 20-25 foot at each spot, coldest temp was 82 F on the bottom out 22 miles, mid-80's at the others.

Bad news however, a boat came up to us and said they had lost a diver about 4 hours beforehand. The coast guard had 2 helicopters and a couple boats out there searching for the diver. Apparently they had found some gear but not the diver, I don't know any more than that. Please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.

Sat July 4th:

55' out of John's Pass on a SW 250*, 25' to a hazy blue/green 30' visibility. 2' seas and T-shirt dive temps.

48' out of JP, " " ", 12' to a hazy green 15' visibility. " " "

Chad

Last edited:
Went out yesterday. NOAA called for 2-3 early then picking up. Well it skipped that first step. Had plans to run far but those changed. A few guys dropped around Veterans for the hell of it. Had 15'-20' vis there. Water is very warm. Rolled back in shortly after.

vertical vis on the sheridan was just about top to bottom. horizontal around 30'.

hit a ledge in 45' and had maybe 10' with snot.

Glad to hear that steelcity,

Covered some ground today... dove a few miles west of the Sheridan, in the afternoon in 100 feet and the vis on the bottom dropped to about 12 feet.

Running back from there, we also hit a spot in 75 feet a few miles north of the Sheridan and found dirty water there too, less than 10 feet.

In the morning dove NW of the Pride in 130 feet and it was green on the bottom with poor vis.

Hit a spot in 157 feet off Sarasota and found clear water on the bottom, about 40 feet.

Chad

that's covering some ground there Chad. Back at it today. Headed out west about 60 miles today. Going to try and hit the one spot you know about. I will post our findings later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom