Question Are You Tired of the Taxi Ripoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just arrived in Cozumel and have been ripped off four times by taxi drivers! I thought I did enough due diligence to be informed about what I should be paying from point A to point B, but the taxi Mafia has little care about adhering to their rules. The first three drivers refused to provide me the rate card. The fare should have been 260 pesos from Casa Mexicana to Iberostar. The first two drivers quoted 350 pesos to which I countered with the correct fare. The price was lowered to 300 pesos. Once I mentioned I wanted to see the rate card, they all of a sudden didn't understand what I was talking about. I walked away and headed down the road on foot to catch another taxi. Driver number three said 300 pesos and also refused to provide the rate card. Now I was running out of time to get to my destination, so I paid the $300 pesos.

Coming back from iberostar, with no option, I was forced to pay the $300 pesos from Iberostar to Casa Mexicana. Once we arrived, I waited till my stuff was out of the van and then I asked the driver for his rate card, to which he did not know what I was talking about. I then typed the question into Google Translate and showed it to him. He looked dumbfounded and wouldn't answer, even seeing the question in his own language. I then went to the front of the van and took a picture of his license plate. He conveniently found a rate card. This rate card was in USD for cruise ship passengers only, for transportation from the International and Punta Langosta Piers. It occurred to me now that the drivers are charging regular tourists the cruise ship passenger rates all the time. This was not a zone rate card and it was not in Spanish or Pesos. When I asked to take a photo of the rate card, he refused. Now I'm angry and telling him that by law he needs to show it to me. He finally let me get a photo, but he didn't make it easy and wouldn't let me touch it. He says that Casa Mexicana is at Punta Langosta Pier. So somehow that means I'm a cruise ship passenger?

I would be interested to know what the community here does in these situations in Cozumel. Besides taking a picture of the license plate, what other photos should one gather in the event of filing a formal complaint? I'm not saying I would take time from my vacation to do so, but this might be enough of an intimidation to the driver that I'm not a customer that will be taken advantage of.

I'm thinking that Maybe I should just get in the cab, knowing the price, and pay it at the destination. If he has a problem with it, then that would be another issue.

I suspect a significant fare increase but at least it will be consistant.
It will be a flat fee to get in cab (let's say 50 Peso for an example) and a per kilometer fee on top (let's say 25 Peso per Km). So a 8 KM trip would be 250 Peso.

Just think when you have to go to the airport, you can get ripped off 1 last time by the taxis. Their excuse for charging more to go to airport is because its federal zone.....
That is true. Tarifa De Hotels Al Aeropuerto.
1707835589740.jpeg

I know I am in the minority but I personally find it really weird when people from rich countries go to poor countries and really badger the locals on principal that they feel they're getting ripped off. Certainly it's likely cheaper than a cab ride at home and if you can't afford the 10% shakedown on holiday, just stay home. I get it if he's asking for 500p and the rate is 260p. That's greedy and unfair. But you're arguing (being stressed on your holiday) for 40p with a guy who probably has his kids selling coconuts on the beach rather than being in school. You're the visitor here, no need to get mad at the locals.

Lastly, you actually asked the cab for the ride. This isn't even like the airport people who follow and harass you to drive you to your resort who are much worse.

I know I am in the minority but I personally find it really weird when people from rich countries go to poor countries and really badger the locals on principal that they feel they're getting ripped off. Certainly it's likely cheaper than a cab ride at home and if you can't afford the 10% shakedown on holiday, just stay home. I get it if he's asking for 500p and the rate is 260p. That's greedy and unfair. But you're arguing (being stressed on your holiday) for 40p with a guy who probably has his kids selling coconuts on the beach rather than being in school. You're the visitor here, no need to get mad at the locals.

Lastly, you actually asked the cab for the ride. This isn't even like the airport people who follow and harass you to drive you to your resort who are much worse.
What is to stop them from asking 500mxn for 100 mxn fare if they don't negotiate up front? It happens in Cancun that is why the push for meters.

I do not see flouting laws or regulations as a proper way to lift oneself out of poverty. It is theft or fraud, just as if you went into a shop and were charged a higher price than what is on the price tag. This is different from places in the world where taxi fares are not regulated, and the driver and customer are free to bargain. In that case, caveat emptor. But in places where fares are regulated, I expect taxi drivers to abide by them.

Yes, I'm from a "rich" country, and much of Mexico is "poor." I do indeed like to help where I can. If I want to do something charitable while I'm there, I might very well do that. For instance, I might intentionally not drive a hard bargain when a kid offers some trinket to my wife and me. But that has no bearing on whether I should acquiesce to an attempt at theft/fraud by taxi drivers.

I do not see flouting laws or regulations as a proper way to lift oneself out of poverty. It is theft or fraud, just as if you went into a shop and were charged a higher price than what is on the price tag. This is different from places in the world where taxi fares are not regulated, and the driver and customer are free to bargain. In that case, caveat emptor. But in places where fares are regulated, I expect taxi drivers to abide by them.

Yes, I'm from a "rich" country, and much of Mexico is "poor." I do indeed like to help where I can. If I want to do something charitable while I'm there, I might very well do that. For instance, I might intentionally not drive a hard bargain when a kid offers some trinket to my wife and me. But that has no bearing on whether I should acquiesce to an attempt at theft/fraud by taxi drivers.
Well said @Lorenzoid. Plus Mexico has the 12th largest economy in the world, so it seems a bit silly (perhaps even patronizing) to take the view that we should just be glad to give money to Mexican taxi drivers to break laws (enacted by Mexicans). Charity is a great thing, but I'd rather not have it extorted from me, and taxi drivers might not be my first choice of charity -- for those so inclined, the Ciudad de Angeles orphanage on Cozumel is a great one to consider.

He was asked for 350 pesos. It took that "outrageous amount of effort" to get the 300 pesos.

And if people don't resist, next year it will be much more.
BINGO !!
i keep saying this on different forums......as long as people give in and pay more for something than its worth, why would anything change.

and this is the exact line of thinking that allows this type of behavior to continue.

it has nothing to do with what something costs at home. (why do people always say that?) it has nothing to do with how poor a country is or not.

it is about a systemic problem that allows certain businesses to continually take advantage of people and this ends up costing everyone more than it should.

if the tourist was treated fairly, and the rules/laws were being followed properly, then perhaps that tourist might decide to pay an extra tip based on all the reasons you mentioned in your comment. that is up to each individual to decide.

but when a business illegally over charges you, you have taken away that individuals choice. whats wrong is wrong. just because it is a "poorer country" than you might live in, it doesn't make it ok. and if you give no thought to it and just go along with it every time, things will just continue to get worse.

I don’t really think about it, I am likely to over tip as well. On trips I prefer to not have angst over small issues. Happy to have access to taxi, beats walking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom