Question Are You Tired of the Taxi Ripoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just arrived in Cozumel and have been ripped off four times by taxi drivers! I thought I did enough due diligence to be informed about what I should be paying from point A to point B, but the taxi Mafia has little care about adhering to their rules. The first three drivers refused to provide me the rate card. The fare should have been 260 pesos from Casa Mexicana to Iberostar. The first two drivers quoted 350 pesos to which I countered with the correct fare. The price was lowered to 300 pesos. Once I mentioned I wanted to see the rate card, they all of a sudden didn't understand what I was talking about. I walked away and headed down the road on foot to catch another taxi. Driver number three said 300 pesos and also refused to provide the rate card. Now I was running out of time to get to my destination, so I paid the $300 pesos.

Coming back from iberostar, with no option, I was forced to pay the $300 pesos from Iberostar to Casa Mexicana. Once we arrived, I waited till my stuff was out of the van and then I asked the driver for his rate card, to which he did not know what I was talking about. I then typed the question into Google Translate and showed it to him. He looked dumbfounded and wouldn't answer, even seeing the question in his own language. I then went to the front of the van and took a picture of his license plate. He conveniently found a rate card. This rate card was in USD for cruise ship passengers only, for transportation from the International and Punta Langosta Piers. It occurred to me now that the drivers are charging regular tourists the cruise ship passenger rates all the time. This was not a zone rate card and it was not in Spanish or Pesos. When I asked to take a photo of the rate card, he refused. Now I'm angry and telling him that by law he needs to show it to me. He finally let me get a photo, but he didn't make it easy and wouldn't let me touch it. He says that Casa Mexicana is at Punta Langosta Pier. So somehow that means I'm a cruise ship passenger?

I would be interested to know what the community here does in these situations in Cozumel. Besides taking a picture of the license plate, what other photos should one gather in the event of filing a formal complaint? I'm not saying I would take time from my vacation to do so, but this might be enough of an intimidation to the driver that I'm not a customer that will be taken advantage of.

I'm thinking that Maybe I should just get in the cab, knowing the price, and pay it at the destination. If he has a problem with it, then that would be another issue.

What's the app called?
EDIT: Well, this is what I get for posting before I read the entire thread and only later realize that El Graduado already chimed in upthread of this. Now I feel weird.

His website is EverythingCozumel - Cozumel maps and up-to-date info I'm unaware of an app, and would welcome a link.

For those who remember the Blue Guide to Cozumel that used to be in airliner seatback pockets, he published that. The Big Yellow Map of Cozumel? Ric. He designed the logos and printed menus for many local businesses (including Casa Mission, after arguing unsuccessfully with the owner that it should be Misión). His Cozumel Survival Guide got us through our first few years. His several books about Cozumel history are very informative (just search for his name on Amazon).

Ric has lived on the island since Melgar was the only paved road and has owned multiple businesses on the island (including the print shop from the name of which his username here is derived). He seems to know all the people who run things and the inside skinny on most things. I've only stumped him with a couple of questions*, and nobody else has ever been able to answer them for me. If anyone can pry the rate chart from the taxi syndicate, it is he. And he has, so we don't have to. The chart on his site is current. There are also maps of all the bus routes and so much more I can barely describe it.

He's on here occasionally, but isn't really a social media person at all. His wife (an artist, among other things) is on Facebook, but he is not. He's very knowledgeable and hilarious and if you ever have a chance to chat with him you should not pass that up.

*e.g., "is there a street analogous to Calle 23 Sur that runs in the other direction?" Calle 23 goes from 65 Avenida (8 de October) to 30 Avenida (Pedo Joaquin Coldwell) with no stops at all, but I haven't found anything that goes from 30 Av. to 65 Av. without at least 3 stop signs.

I know I am in the minority but I personally find it really weird when people from rich countries go to poor countries and really badger the locals on principal that they feel they're getting ripped off. Certainly it's likely cheaper than a cab ride at home and if you can't afford the 10% shakedown on holiday, just stay home.
Just talk with a local about their feelings on this matter! Unless they're part of a taxista family, they agree with the OP.

People from the US and, to a degree from Canada, are driving up prices and tipping expectations (most Europeans don't tip, so they're a minor part of the problem) which makes things palpably more expensive and difficult for local people. Taxis often won't even stop for a woman laden with shopping and her kids because they're cruising for gabachos they can rip off. It's like paying mordida to cops - used to be common NOB, too, then people started refusing to do it so it largely went away. In México, it's engrained in the culture in part because people keep paying it.

People that look like me get better service than my neighbors - it's called malinchismo. As one example, I'll be waiting in line and be offered a table people ahead of me have been waiting for longer. They can be so insistent about this that my son has threatened to walk out if they continue (and had to do it once).

It can feel nice to get preferential treatment, but that always comes at the cost of someone else. If you look, dress, or sound as if you're from NOB, I assure you that whether you're aware of it or not you've been the beneficiary of malinchismo. If taxi charges (and tipping, and other things) were fair and consistent, there would be no need for preferential treatment.

Some worry about it, others don’t. For those that are concerned spend some time supporting and lobbying for Uber and Lyft, that will bring prices down. Just start picketing for the principle,
As long as you're aware that only Mexican citizens can do those things. Tourists and legal residents in México are not permitted to engage in political activity. Picketing can lead to deportation and loss of residency.

Do not pay the mordida.
Yes. "Dame mi multa, porfa" (please give me my ticket). And, yes, volunteering to go directly to the station and pay the fine right now (to the cashier, obviously) is the best approach.

Those rate cards are 8 years old aren't they?
The age of the rate chart doesn't matter. The taxi syndicate is sufficiently powerful to get it updated whenever they want. All this shows is that the drivers are not interested in the rate chart.

Don't you think the drivers deserve more than a fare from 8 years ago?
Well, they certainly do. If they actually followed the chart (which has never been the case), then an increase might be in order. As it is, that would only hurt island residents.

Does anyone have a card picture that isn't blurry?
Yep. Taxis & City Buses - EverythingCozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom